Flashing for metal chimney exiting center of roof ridgeline?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkclements

Aug 16, 2008
Northern NY
Howdy,

I've just moved into an old 2-story house that used to have a metal chimney straight up through the center of the house right up through the roof ridge/peak.

The ridgepole has already been cut and braced, and is "lightly" patched over when the roof was reshingled sometime in the past.

Now I want to install a new chimney in the same location. I'm thinking of 6-inch duratech and a Napoleon 1400P

What can I do about the flashing? My local duratech dealer said I could not attach any non-duratech product to the chimney as that would void the warranty. That means "no custom flashing". The sales person said they would call duratech and get back to me to be sure (they never called me back).

So naturally I am planning to buy elsewhere.. But in the meantime, what about the flashing?

Would you suggest I ignore the convenient hole and make a new one off to the side using an elbow instead?

or not worry about the warranty issue and instead find a local metal fabricator?

Regarding duratech, another local company is selling "2100 chimney systems". It's a triple wall "air cooled" pipe. I've never heard of it, and I'm worried about over-cooling the stack with this system. Anyone know anything about this pipe?

thanks for any comments.

You could build a cupola over the ridge, which would act as a chase for the Duratech, then make a s.s. chase top plate and done.
That cut out ridge pole concerns me a lil. NOt sure I ever heard of them ok to be cut. Seems to me it weakens them alot a that point.

Go with a good "class A" insulated chimney, ICC is a good brand. The chase Idea is a good way to get around the problem. There are also hi-temp moldable rubber boots that conform to the roof. Yes its not mfg. recomended, but so was premarital sex and driving 55 and that didnt stop too many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.