flat plate heat loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulybagger

Sep 3, 2008
Scotland,CT
what would be normal heat loss with a flat plate heat exchanger? I have a central boiler 6048. I have a about a 1-2 degree heat loss from the boiler to the heat exchanger. The heat loss between the flat plate and the boiler is about 24 degrees. Is this normal? Seems like a lot to me. The distance from the heat exchanger to the boiler is about 3 feet. All the pipes are wrapped with foam insulation. What do some of you have for heat loss in degrees?

If you are transfering heat through the hx, then the 24* drop is really your delat T. If so, that is pretty good transfer going on. If you are not supposed to be transfering heat, then you are radiating a lot of heat from the plate hx!

Yes. I'm transferring heat to keep my oil boiler up to temp. Is there a way to reduce radiating heat from the hx? That is about the only part that isn't wrapped in insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.