Flies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Hey all!
I have noticed that this spring my firewood stacks have attracted alot of big ugly black flies. My stack is a mix of walnut, maple,ash, oak.
What gives?

Flies are attracted to the sap much the same as they are attracted to ....some other stuff. They will go away pretty fast as the sap dries.

Ja, the sugars in the sap and heat from the sun.

Jamess67 said:
Hey all!
I have noticed that this spring my firewood stacks have attracted alot of big ugly black flies. My stack is a mix of walnut, maple,ash, oak.
What gives?

They love fresh cut piss oak... I get em here all the time..

Ray

Jamess67 said:
Hey all!
What gives?

That ain't so bad....

My woodpile attracts scorpions and copperheads. Staring down a snake at eye level will get your blood flowing.

LeftyScott

Mystery of life solved. I can sleep now. Thanks guys!

leftyscott said:
Jamess67 said:
Hey all!
What gives?

That ain't so bad....

My woodpile attracts scorpions and copperheads. Staring down a snake at eye level will get your blood flowing.

LeftyScott

I posted this in the gear forum, but I'll put it here, as well. This is my copperhead bite from August of 2008.

bite_1.jpg

leg1.jpg

That looks painful. Glad I dont have that problem here.

leftyscott said:
That ain't so bad....

LeftyScott

It will get THEIR blood flowing as well, if you get my drift. I HATE snakes.

Jamess67 said:

It hurt pretty bad. The initial bite was like an extremely powerful hornet or wasp sting - that sharp, burning, almost "metallic" feeling sting/pain. The swelling was terrible the first week. The worst part was hobbling to the bathroom to urinate. Just when you finally got a good stream going, you'd bang your foot against the commode, cut off, and have to wait to start again. Total frustration. This year I plan on avoiding this!

ouch!!!

I sure am glad we don't have any poisonous snakes around here (I know someone is gonna argue this, but I think it is like the Pine causes chimney fires myth or the Jersey Devil) But we do have some ornery black snakes which seem to like to strike rather than run! Scares the crap out of me every time!

How long did the healing process take?

Bubbavh said:
ouch!!!

I sure am glad we don't have any poisonous snakes around here (I know someone is gonna argue this, but I think it is like the Pine causes chimney fires myth or the Jersey Devil) But we do have some ornery black snakes which seem to like to strike rather than run! Scares the crap out of me every time!

How long did the healing process take?

I was on crutches for about 2 solid weeks. I wasn't really "better" for a month, though. I'd say at the end of the first month, I was back to about 90%. The last time any tightness or swelling bothered me was mid October of 2008, which was about 2.5 months after the bite.

I'm guessing you wear boots out there now...

If it were me I'd have boots up to my knees, my chainsaw helmet and visor, and welding gloves after your experience. Or maybe a suit of armor!

Basically I was bitten due to a foolish mistake: becoming too passive with a bad habit. I was walking out past sunset with no flashlight, wearing a pair of flip flops to throw some watermelon rinds into the edge of the woods. I can't count the number of times in my life I've gone out after dark in a poor pair of shoes or with no light. As fortune (or misfortune) would have it, this time being lax bit me - literally.

Pagey said:
Jamess67 said:

It hurt pretty bad. The initial bite was like an extremely powerful hornet or wasp sting - that sharp, burning, almost "metallic" feeling sting/pain. The swelling was terrible the first week. The worst part was hobbling to the bathroom to urinate. Just when you finally got a good stream going, you'd bang your foot against the commode, cut off, and have to wait to start again. Total frustration. This year I plan on avoiding this!

Wow..... that looks painful. A few years ago I got bit just above the knee by a brown recluse. No initial pain...... but about 12 hours later I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like someone was beating me in the leg with a bat.
I was very lucky going to a dr. that knew what she was doing. I was hobbled for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.