Floor Grate/Floor vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Hey would anyone happen to know where I can find some nice cast iron floor grates/floor vents?

Google cast iron floor register for shops. Be sure to add a fusible link fire damper if you are penetrating floors.

Atlanta supply sells both the floor registers and the fire dampers.
http://www.atlantasupply.com/

Thanks for the help. I actually just bought this one off ebay. Ironically its what i've been looking for with no success for the past two weeks before just stumbling upon it. I had this same grate in my bedroom growing up at my dads house. He still has it but wouldnt let me take it/trade for another!! BeGreen, it does have the damper system built in as a kit so i'll be all set with that

Attachments

• 2ndvemomy2.JPG
    2ndvemomy2.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 605
mikepinto65 said:
...Ironically...

:lol: Sorry, that just struck me as funny. Cast iron grate...ironic...get it? Oh, nevermind, I'm just getting old. %-P I'm glad you found what you were looking for! Rick

lol good one!

mikepinto65 said:
Thanks for the help. I actually just bought this one off ebay. Ironically its what i've been looking for with no success for the past two weeks before just stumbling upon it. I had this same grate in my bedroom growing up at my dads house. He still has it but wouldnt let me take it/trade for another!! BeGreen, it does have the damper system built in as a kit so i'll be all set with that

That's a beauty. Vermont Castings?

Here's one I found at an architectural salvage place in Essex Junction. Now located in my hallway letting BTUs up from the cellar stove when needed.

Attachments

• Register open.JPG
    Register open.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 532
Yes it is Vermont Castings. I've been searching high and low for it.
Yours is sharp, Im doing the same set up. The stove is in the basement and im putting the grate about 5 feet from the foyer to incourage the heat to go up stairs to the second floor easyer

fossil said:
mikepinto65 said:
...Ironically...

:lol: Sorry, that just struck me as funny. Cast iron grate...ironic...get it? Oh, nevermind, I'm just getting old. %-P I'm glad you found what you were looking for! Rick

::groan::

fossil said:
mikepinto65 said:
...Ironically...

Grate Rick, just grate. %-P

mikepinto65 said:
BeGreen, it does have the damper system built in as a kit so i'll be all set with that

Could you send me the link ? I've been trying to put one together but am concerned that, purchased separately, they may not work together.

C'mon, you guys, I did the best I could. Not much to work with there. I'll try to do better. :p Rick

Aw don't worry, we're not trying to grille you here. At our age these things take some time to register. You're allowed to vent too. :coolsmirk: Just keep it pointed to the east!

BeGreen said:
Aw don't worry, we're not trying to grille you here. At our age these things take some time to register. You're allowed to vent too. :coolsmirk: Just keep it pointed to the east!

Butt, I feel like such a lame duct. Always remember I'm your biggest fan, BG. Rick

Thanks Mike.
The Pinto in your name reminded me of a funny. A guy here in VT had a Pinto wagon. He cut the roof off and called it a Pinchero. lol

lol nice i'll remember that the next time someone tells me my last name is that same as a car!! it'll make the comment a lot more interesting!!!

i am also interested in putting several floor vents from my main level where the baker double eagle fireplace insert heats the living room/dining room area up to the three bedrooms - before i start cutting holes in this beautifully restored 200 year old house i could use as much advice as possible - what is optimal size of hole? any particular place in the rooms best? anything to watch out for? thanks

vasculardoctor said:
i am also interested in putting several floor vents from my main level where the baker double eagle fireplace insert heats the living room/dining room area up to the three bedrooms - before i start cutting holes in this beautifully restored 200 year old house i could use as much advice as possible - what is optimal size of hole? any particular place in the rooms best? anything to watch out for? thanks

I think the size of the hole really depends on the size of you vent and as to which room is best really depends on where the stove is in relation to the rooms your trying to vent. I think we might need to know more about your floor plan.

vasculardoctor said:
any particular place in the rooms best?
You will have to analyze where the natural convection patterns are for both floors and then try to determine how they will change when you join them with vents. It is hard to fight the natural convection. Better to leverage it and go with the flow.

I got real lucky when I designed and built my 1 & 1/2 storey open plan with central stairway. The warm air goes up one side and the cold air down the other. This despite the fireplace being at the far end of an ell.

Status
Not open for further replies.