Floor / hearth install questions - update with pics - finished!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm planning on putting a 6ft X 3ft hearth extension below the new Regency I3100 insert. The raised hearth will be granite on top of the existing 3" steel angle / concrete filled raised hearth.

My installer suggested that if I use a metal barrier above the sub-floor that I could use 1/4" wonderboard under the slate tiles I am installing. So it looks like this: Sub floor (plywood), galvanized steel (same gauge as joist liners) nailed to sub floor, 1/4 wonderboard screwed thru the steel into the sub floor, then the tiles installed using standard thinset. The tiles are 3/8" thick slate. He saus becasue it's a metal "shield" the 1/2" cement board requirement is not needed. The raised hearth sits approx 12" above the floor.

The manual says that "thermal floor protection is not required if the unit is raised 3.5" minimum off the floor. However standard ember floor protection is required. It will need to be a non-combustible material that covers 18" in front (Canada) and 8" to the sides." Since the insert is about 16" off the floor, the ember protection applies yes?

Sound right?

Attachments

• subfloor.jpg
    subfloor.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,188
That CMHC "Guide to Residential Wood Heating" (shouldn't be hard to find online) says this about "ember protection":

"The floor pad must be made of a durable, non-combustible material, such as sheet metal, grouted ceramic tile, or mortared brick."

So I would question whether you need all that Wonderboard and sheet metal.

But I should add that I know next to nothing about inserts.

The only problem I see is that a 1/4 layer of wonderboard all by itself is not very stiff, and I would be afraid that after a short time your thinset and grout might start to crack and fail from movement.

Yeah - I was a little concerned about that, but we have 3/4 plywood subfloor, and it's not really going to get walked on much other than re-loading. If it starts to crack, I guess I'll pull it up and redo with 1/2 inch. At least witrh 1/4 inch it'll be prety much level with the 3/4 " hardwood around it.

Read the CMHC and re-read the Regency manual just to absolutely certain. Here's some pics of the sheet metal, the wonderboard and then the tiles pre-grout.

Just got to grout them and put some trim around the edge and the floor is done. Then onto the granite hearth...

Was surprised how nice these tiles are from HD. $2sqft for slate. Went thru about 6 boxes to match the grey ones and left the other boxes with matching beige ones together.

Attachments

• sheetmetal.jpg
    sheetmetal.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • wonderboard.jpg
    wonderboard.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,136
  • tiles.jpg
    tiles.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,124
And finally here it is with the tiles grouted and a trim piece around the outer edge.

Now just waiting on the granite guy (next week) then the insert should be going in soon after that.

Attachments

• pad_done.jpg
    pad_done.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,023
Just had the granite hearth installed - looks exactly as I wanted it to. The shims get pulled out once the mortar has dried.

Also shows the basic mantel shelf I whipped up last night. Still have to put some wopulding on it and distress then stain. Insert get delivered on Frdiay for break in burns over the weekend, then installed Monday.

Attachments

• granite1.jpg
    granite1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 995
  • granite2.jpg
    granite2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 973
Sweet. The floating hearth looks great. Is it anchored to the base or is it depending on the mortar to bond it?

I think you overkilled the ember protection extension on the floor...but hey, that's better than underkilling it. All in all, I like what you've done there very much. Nice job! Now we need to see it with the Regency in place. Rick

Nice! A lot of planning goes into pulling something like that off nicely. You've worked hard.

Thanks!

The granite is mortared to the steel / concrete, and it's pretty heavy so tere's no way it's going anywhere. I extended the floor protection out that far for 2 reasons: 1) I wanted a decent amount of protection as embers/coals falling off the hearth will tend to go a little farther because of the drop to the floor, and, 2) I'm way to lazy to cut the slate to make it, say 2 1/2 tiles - 2 tiles or 24" was just not enough once the insert is in to provide the 18" required.

I still need some ideas of what to do with the steel frame of the hearth - part of me wants to put some kind of decorative tile on there, part of me wants to sand it smooth and paint it black. Any thoughts??

I like the painting it black idea. That way the focus is on the hearth and stove.

Very nice job KB. The floating black granite makes it special. I would go for painting the under structure black as well. It is a supporting structure and not the focus nor should it be noticed that much. With the granite you have more of a contemporary/modern look. I might be tempted to paint/stain the mantle black to tie in.

Yeah - I think the steel will get a coat of flat black paint.

The mantle shelf is going to get a bit of trim and then distressed / antiqued and stained a nice deep honey pine stain.

Insert gets delivered tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to a few fires before the good weather :)

Flat black often looks great until it gets the first smudge on it. Just a recommendation, use a low gloss satin black paint. It will clean easier over the years and won't be a dust magnet.

slick, I like it, cant wait to see it with the insert.

question for KB - did you grout between the outside edge of tile and the trim - or does the trim butt right up against the edge of the tiles? my tired eyes can't make it out from the pic - my project is ready to grout and trim as well - not sure what goes on first..?

btw - very nice hearth - kinda jealous

not sure how you feel at the end of it all, but for me, what initially looked like a no brainer is sure turning out to be a ton of work.

I grouted first then added the trim. I also left a gap of about 3/8" between the tiles and the wood flooring on eacj side. Because of the way I did the subfloor/wonderboard, the tiles are flush with the hardwood, so I was able to use a flat trim piece and just crewed it down with the screws going into the 3/8 gap. I was thinking of putting a bead of caulk under the trim just to even it out with the roughness of the slate, but have not bothered to do that, and it's not a problem so far.

Thanks KB - appreciate the additional info - it's very helpful...

Insert arrives this morning, fortunately the rain is going to hold off 'til Sunday :)

Was able to get them to place it onto my dolly, so I can wheel it into the garage overnight, once it's cooled down completely of course.

I see nothing wrong with burning a stove in the driveway - the city prolly has 12 bylaws that I'm breaking, but I say F them, in a redneck sort of way. ;)

So here's some pics of the burn in - so far I'm running it nice and low-ish, ran a quick fire with some old lumber scraps and newspaper, let that cool some then started another with some kindlign and a couple of small logs and lumber scraps. I love this thing already! Firebox is wider than deep, but seems huge.

Attachments

• burnin1.jpg
    burnin1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 677
  • burnin2.jpg
    burnin2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 682
  • burnin3.jpg
    burnin3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 693
Oh so close :(

Installer came today to install and figured he was going to need an offset adapter after all. Now needs to order one in and hopefully come by Friday to connect and finish up.

It looks nice without the trim - I think I might just leave it that way for now. When it's done, it'll sit back about another inch and there will be a very small air gap at the top. What do y'all think - trim or no trim??

Attachments

• Insert_in.jpg
    Insert_in.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 657
A little more patience KB. Must be frustrating to be so close, and dealer didn't have a offset on the truck just in case. The insert looks real nice as is but the trim would give it a finished look across top especially. Prop up the trim and look at it both ways.

Finished today. Was able to re-use the braqss trim pieces off the old insert, may keep it like that - not sure. Very happy with the way everything has come together.

Attachments

• Installed1.jpg
    Installed1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 599
  • installed2.jpg
    installed2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 587
Looks good. I think that mantle wood look good with a shiney coat of black paint

Status
Not open for further replies.