Floor protection options around existing brick hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day,
I may need to expand my existing brick hearth by 8-10 inches to protect the flooring and meet code for a new installation of a stove. I was hoping to hear some ideas of what type of materials others have utilized to provide floor protection. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't think I would ever match the brick again, so that idea is low on the list. Flagstone is one option. I am assuming that the material needs to be permanently installed to meet code.

Thanks, Dave

Good Day,
I may need to expand my existing brick hearth by 8-10 inches to protect the flooring and meet code for a new installation of a stove. I was hoping to hear some ideas of what type of materials others have utilized to provide floor protection. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't think I would ever match the brick again, so that idea is low on the list. Flagstone is one option. I am assuming that the material needs to be permanently installed to meet code.

Thanks, Dave
Is this extending the hearth extension on an existing fireplace or a stove hearth?

Floor protection requirements vary with the stove. What stove is this for?

Wood stove hearth extension. I am looking at the f45 V2 Greenville and the HS Castleton.
IMG_1575.jpg

Both are ember protection only stoves. With the high, raised hearth just a sheet of metal, nailed or screwed to the floor would suffice. It could be cut to shape around the prow of the brick hearth. This could be painted or done out of copper for a nice look.

It also appears there are several companies that manufacture various pads and boards. I believe for these two stoves all I need is to satisfy the UL 1618 Type 1 ember protection, correct?

It also appears there are several companies that manufacture various pads and boards. I believe for these two stoves all I need is to satisfy the UL 1618 Type 1 ember protection, correct?
Yes. A sheet of metal or a basic hearth pad may suffice. However, they have a straight edge. The new stove will be wider than the old stove so it looks like there will be an unprotected area on each side with a standard pad put up against the nose of the hearth.

There are 12" extension pads made, but they often are made for fireplaces and 48" wide. That would look awkward.

Is this a high traffic area?

I agree, the front angles are a bit of an issue. I am thinking I may be able to get a pad cut to fit or a solid material cut to fit. Yes, this is a high traffic area. If I go with the sheet metal approach, custom cut and then powder coated paint, should look nice. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am also thinking the Castleton will fit the current hearth, just barely. As much as I have been trying to stay away from CATS.

Begreen....how thick would I have to have a sheet of steel?

Is this in steel? Not very thick, it is just an ember shield. It could be 26 ga but then I would have it hemmed (front edge folded over 1/2"). 22ga would be ok unhemmed. That is thick enough to lay flat. It should be tacked down in the corners.

Sounds like if I went with 1/8 inch (11GA) I would not need to tack it down.

Reactions: Mech e
Sounds like if I went with 1/8 inch (11GA) I would not need to tack it down.
1/8" would not deform when stepped on also (would not need any closed hems to stiffen it). I would have it cut out with a laser, have the shop grind all the top outer edges with about a .06" radius, and then powder coat it a nice color.

Would aluminum powder coated be a better choice?