Floor Protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that basic ember protection would suffice. The firebox is high on the stove. The old wood cook stove I had didn't have any floor protection. Not saying that was correct, I was just renting and that was the way it was installed. It never got more than slightly warm under the oven.

PS: If you are looking at a wood cook stove, did you know that you can still buy them, made like they used to? The Heartland stoves are a work of art.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/htoval.htm

I would at the very least have one of those store-bought hearths under it . . . or have a half inch sheet of listed Durock. Here in Maine, depending on where you are, you may get an inspector that is OK with just about anything you do . . . or you may have someone that requires some sort of listed floor protection as specified by NFPA 211. Regardless . . . either way is pretty cheap insurance.

As I posted in a separate thread, the metal-covered "stove pad" sold by Imperial Group Limited of Canada (available at Lowe's in season...my 36" x 48" was $43 with end-of-season pricing) is made of USGypsum Micore and is R = 1.1. My stove dealer was asking $150 for the same pad, so do some comparison shopping before purchase.

most codes will say 36" side clearance to unprotected walls, and 18" OF PROTECTED FLOORSPACE in every direction (irregardless of which end has the load door) for any non UL listed stove without a tag or documented testing to tell you otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.