Flooring near wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lesel

Oct 20, 2009
baltimore md
We just bought a Kodiak 1700. We have carpet in our living room (in front of the fireplace). Is it safe or do we need to change the carpet and put down a new floor? This is all new to me and trying to be cautious....

Suggestions please?

thanks,

lesley

From the manual:

Page 16 says 6 inches from each side of the stove to the edge of the hearth (floor protection) and then 16 inches from the front of the stove to the edge of the hearth.

Did you install an insert? If so, it states you need 16" of clearance from the door opening to the edge of the floor protection. If you have that much, but you feel it is not enough you can purchase a hearth extension for added peace of mind.

As long as you meet the specs from installation requirements you should be fine (safe) for running the stove. However, this is not to say that if you let something fall out of the stove it won't roll/slide across your hearth pad and land on your carpet and burn a hole in it. Naturally you will be there at the time, see it, and get it off the carpet (right?) so you won't be unsafe - however you will still have an ugly hole. So... exceed the minimums if you are prone to bad luck with these things. And always be careful when loading no matter the case.

a nice piece of slate always looks good in front of the stove....2' by 4' should be plenty for ya.

Hi Lesley and welcome to the forum. I assume it is wall to wall? What is under it? Hardwood, tile or stone is a lot easier to keep clean around the stove.

Slow1 said:
As long as you meet the specs from installation requirements you should be fine (safe) for running the stove. However, this is not to say that if you let something fall out of the stove it won't roll/slide across your hearth pad and land on your carpet and burn a hole in it. Naturally you will be there at the time, see it, and get it off the carpet (right?) so you won't be unsafe - however you will still have an ugly hole. So... exceed the minimums if you are prone to bad luck with these things. And always be careful when loading no matter the case.

+1 . . . but then again I am a "safety first" sort of guy . . . well, that and my wife would kill me if I ended up burning holes in the carpet . . . or in my case burning scorch marks in the wood floor. ;) :)

Hi, if you don't mind the way it looks, you can just get a "stove board" pretty inexpensively and lay it on the floor in front of the insert to start with until you figure out what look you want permanently. You can get one of those as inexpensively as 30-40 bucks. Or look for a "hearth pad" which will cost a few hundred if you like the look better or want more coverage. Either of these is easier than tearing up carpet.

firefighterjake said:
Slow1 said:

+1 . . . but then again I am a "safety first" sort of guy . . . well, that and my wife would kill me if I ended up burning holes in the carpet . . . or in my case burning scorch marks in the wood floor. ;) :)

+2 <1yr old T & G Oak floor. She WILL have my head on a stick - NO joke! I usually over engineer / build anything I repair/build. But, the safety factor has been pounded into my head at an early age, and continue to live that way. Always exceed the recommendations, build it better the first time, excreta.

Status
Not open for further replies.