Flu on Encore NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmahon

Jan 5, 2010
Connecticut
Hi

I just had a Encore NC professionally installed in my fireplace a month ago. Was just looking around the fire box and noticed that the flu connection to the Encore is not sealed. For example, if open the damper and shine a flashlight from inside of the firebox I can see where the flu is not completely sealed. I do not notice any smoke escaping from this slit but wondered if this is typical. I'm new to wood stoves so I wanted to educate myself before calling VC reseller. I've also attached a pic in case what I'm saying is not making any sense to more experience people on the board

Thanks

Attachments

• Flu Seal 2.jpg
    Flu Seal 2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 211
I can't tell from the picture????? But if the collar has too large of a gap at the stove connection it will suck in colder air cooling down your stack effecting the draft and everburn. I had a similar problem with my Defiant Cat. Once I figured this out and sealed it up my stove ran a lot better.

My experience with the flue collar and stovepipe has been that if there is air infiltration it effects the everburn process. It resulted in overfire conditions for mine until I sealed it up.

Seal it as best as you can!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did get the gap sealed by the people that did the installation. I don't know if there is much of a difference but, either way, I'm glad it's sealed

Status
Not open for further replies.