Flue Exhaust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgOnKing

Jan 7, 2010
NE Ohio
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did not install the elbow before horizontal cap for stability as the vertical run is further from my house than the included bracket could support. As a result I simply put the exhaust on as pictured. It has been recommended to me that I either install the elbow or switch to a vertical cap. After installing the elbow, I've decided on other options. My question is this, should I modify the horizontal cap pictured below with a piece of sheet metal to prevent the relative wind from interfering with exhaust or simply purchase a $20 vertical cap?

If I purchase the new cap, it won't be DuraVent due to relative cost difference. On other hand, I don't see any real issues with purchasing a $3 piece of sheet metal and fabricating an additional exhaust angle to force airflow downward and prevent wind from blowing directly into exhaust.

Thoughts?

stove9.jpg

Off subject, but I think that vent should terminate well above the window that the pic is taken through?
If it was me I would be running it above the roof line or relocating the whole thing away from that window.
My 2 cents

macman said:
jtakeman said:
DAKSY said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
vert cap would be too close, elbow out and use the horizontal cap pictured in the propper position
my .02$$

+1
+2
+3

Hello Again DawgOnKing
Please heed the advice of the above forum members, they have years of experience with pellet stoves and other heating units and they are highly respected on this forum. DAKSY is a NFI Certified Technician and the others have helped so many people out with great advice for years, they know. The parts you need would cost you under $50.00 and you can use the flue cap you have now. You will sleep better at night knowing that you and your family are safe....

Thanks to all. That's why I ask, I know I will get the right answers here. I have extended the vertical another foot and it terminates at the top of windows now. There no doubt that I will extend it through the eves this summer and put this issue to rest. For now I will use the elbow, but it sure is ugly! :)

in massachusetts you would be told to take the vent down and do it over.it would never meet the requirements here.to close to an operable window,to close to a side wall etc

Status
Not open for further replies.