flue is roaring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
The fierce strong cold wind is making my flue roar. You can see the flames dance with strong gust. I have turned tstat down to 2.

Had one of those nights of high winds last season. I thought a split was gonna get sucked up the pipe.

Yep, I might have a night like that tonight if things keep up!

But I'm prepared
image.php

pen

Pen

Do you use your damper alot?

My setup didnt even call for one but I ordered the damper/adapter instead of the straight adapter like the instructions said. I figured if I had a runaway stove that is when Id use it
Now Im thinking that I should try to control the fire with the damper AND the air intake. Do you do this?
Im at "If it aint broken then dont fix it" right now.
What say ye?

With my old pre-epa stove a damper was a must.

With the modern epa stove, I have used it about 3 times in the last 2 years to control the burn due to high winds coming from just the right direction to make this thing hum.

For 6 bucks, I like having it there as insurance and even if I never needed to use it, it is still just 6 bucks!

My wife tends to get distracted from time to time :) I don't know how many times she has used the damper but I can tell you she would ask for one in the pipe if I were to remove it. She uses it, but not for too long if you get my drift.

pen

pen said:
With my old pre-epa stove a damper was a must.

With the modern epa stove, I have used it about 3 times in the last 2 years to control the burn due to high winds coming from just the right direction to make this thing hum.

For 6 bucks, I like having it there as insurance and even if I never needed to use it, it is still just 6 bucks!

My wife tends to get distracted from time to time :) I don't know how many times she has used the damper but I can tell you she would ask for one in the pipe if I were to remove it. She uses it, but not for too long if you get my drift.

pen

Same for me. It was a must with my Vigilant, not so much with the Oslo. I really only use it now when cleaning the ash pan. If there is a decent amount of coals, and I dont use it, it'll look like a rocket in my firebox in 1min flat!

After about 2 months of burning I decided to install a damper. Strong winds and the way it hit my roofline caused my fire to occasionally go nuclear and suck up my wood causing very hot and short burn times. I was told that a damper is not needed on an EPA stove so I did not initially install one. BUT in some cases and at some times it sure comes in handy and allows me more control over how my stove burns when the wind is howling.

Status
Not open for further replies.