Flue pipe question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbear86

Jun 30, 2011
SE Idaho
recently purchased a Lopi Endeavor stove for my walk-in basement, the spot i wanted to put has a window/ window well right above it, was wondering if i could exhaust through the window and go up the side of the house or should i just go through the floor and ceiling with triple wall, thanks for the advice!

Redbear: NEVER exaust through a window.

Spreaking from experience, if you have the ability to go through the floor and ceiling upstairs, do it up. A chimney straight outside does not draft as well as one that remains inside (physics and I can tell you this by experience).

Enjoy your burning! Make sure you use that wonderful bypass damper when reloading to prevent smoke spillage!

Andrew

Assuming you mean that you want to run your flue pipe out the window and up the house, .................as long as you are able to properly seal the window space from allowing in outside air, (including proper framing for the flue pipe THRU that opening) and as long as you are running the pipe up to the required height (Code), on the house, and keeping it the required (Code) distance from the side of the house) I don't see a problem with doing it that way.

As for "drafting" issues.......... I believe that your draft potential would be dependent on the height where the top of the flue lives, and not on the pipe going thru the window, as well as your location geographically (elevation, potential obstructions, etc).

That said, ........I personally don't like the idea of a 90º angle on a flue pipe, (which would be required, if you are exiting thru a window, and then going straight up with the remainder of the pipe) since I've heard of more rapid break down of the flue pipe at the angle itself over time, due t creosote build up potential in that location (the angle). You'll have better life expectancy out of a "straight up" pipe setup, assuming you burn responsibly with regard to your wood choices, no trash, moisture content, etc...

-Soupy1957

You could treat the window like a wall, and go through it, but you would essentially be loosing your window because of the amount you'd have to remove. Figure the pipe diameter + thimble diameter = most of your space. Go through the ceiling if you can. Save the window for looking outside and letting light in.

Matt

Thanks for the advice guys, yea i'm probly going to put duraroc and use veneer stone over the window even if i don't go out the window, i was thinking it would be better to go strait up

Redbear86 said:
i was thinking it would be better to go strait up

Then do it. Id say no to window, im most certain this is not code. Besides straight up looks better, drafts better.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.