Flue probe temp solution for inaccessible flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
I have a Lopi Answer wood stove (not insert) installed in a fireplace alcove. THere is about 6" of clearance on the side and about 4" on the top (yes, I have a blower :))

No problem reading stove top temperatures - I've learned how to interpret this data pretty well. But there is a definite time lag between what a stovetop temperature reads and what is happening inside the stove. If I bring the primary air down too fast, I can get a smoldering burn without realizing it (though the ticking of the stove as it starts to cool down tips me off). I live in very close proximity to my neighbors, so I'm more concerned with smoldering, smoky burns than most (no - no one has complained and I don't think they will, but I'm concerned about it nonetheless).

So, is there a way to install a flue temp probe when the flue pipe is going straight up the chimney and inaccessible 4-6" after it leaves the stove? I'd need something with a remote readout, for sure.

rmcfall said:
Would you mind providing links to your setup? I am curious how you did this...

Battenkiller said:
A high temperature thermocouple with insulated leads can be installed and read with a remote digital thermometer. My IR thermometer accepts K-type thermocouples, so I got two tools for the price of one.

Sorry... didn't mean to mislead. I haven't purchased a high temp thermocouple for my IR thermometer. It came with a low temp probe that I use to get ambient air temps from time to time. My flue pipe is fully exposed, so I just use a magnetic thermometer 18" above the collar. That tells me all I really need to know.

I was suggesting the setup to the OP because I know that is how many high temp devices like kilns and such are regulated. My wife's hot glass kiln is basically some insulating refractory brick, a heating coil, a thermocouple and a digital control box.

There are so many types of thermocouples made for such a diverse range of uses that I'd have to call a company like I linked to in order to get the right one, so I won't hazard a guess as to which one to get. I do know that they need to be of the right calibration type for the metering device at hand (K, E, J, N etc.) The supplier would furnish this info.

Hi Battenkiller, could you tell me the model number of digital readout and probe that you have? I'm familiar with Omega, but there is a lot to choose from on your website. Magnetic attachment would work great for me, even if it is not quite as accurate.

There does not seem to be anything commercially available made specifically for wood stoves.

Here is what I made to read the flue temp. It also has an alarm to warn you if the flue temp is too high.

On my stove I have 2 monitor/ alarms, one for the flue with a TC probe inserted about 18" up form the collar. And a magnetic mount TC ( of my own design) to measure stove top temp.

I have found having a monitor/alarm is a very useful addition to a wood stove.
How often did you:
leave the stove door open when starting up?
Forget to turn down the air after reloading?
Put in too much pallet wood?

PM me if you want more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMpyJ6c150

Attachments

• Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Picture 171.jpg
    Picture 171.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 334
DBoon said:
Hi Battenkiller, could you tell me the model number of digital readout and probe that you have? I'm familiar with Omega, but there is a lot to choose from on your website. Magnetic attachment would work great for me, even if it is not quite as accurate.

Like I said above, I don't use this equipment since I have a easily accessible flue pipe. The probe I have I useless for the purpose since it would melt at such temps. The thermometer is an IR hand held unit that accepts K-type probes. It is the LT300 by Sixth Sense. It could serve double duty with the appropriate high temp TC (like the one shown by the poster above). Both probe and non-contact readings may be taken simultaneously.

Seems that WES999 has it figured out a lot better than I could. I like the alarm setup. I wonder if it can push e-mails to my phone as well?

"BK, looks like your house is on fire!" :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.