flue problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brickman

Dec 31, 2008
west central ohio
I have a flue that is around 14' tall. Bottom 5' is single wall black pipe to ceiling. From ceiling to top is class A simpson duravent. I bought and installed their through ceiling kit, this was put in about 2 years ago. This is my problem, I have a 6" brush and clean it myself. From the start it has always been hard to get the brush past the transition point of the two different types of pipe. A couple weeks ago I went up to clean flue and could not get the brush past that point at all, seems like it is getting hung up on the side of the flue. I know I used the right pieces supplied with the kit. Has anyone else experienced this with their install?

you say it's 5 inch pipe coming out of yer stove, what stove is that? I don't think yer flue pipe is big enough diameter for starters, minimum you should be using for a woodstove is 6". Not to mention you have a lot of single wall, your losing heat out of that pipe that would be needed for proper draw on your flue.

Scotty Overkill said:
you say it's 5 inch pipe coming out of yer stove...

No, Scotty, he said he's got 5 feet of single-wall from the stove to the ceiling support box.

Ok I re-read your post, what brand is your insulated pipe and the trasition box (I am assuming you have a ceiling support box) where the singlewall goes into an adapter that then locks onto your ceiling support, is that right?

It is Simpson duravent class A pipe. Bought their through ceiling/roof kit for the install. Yes have ceiling support box. Kit came with adaptor peice that you put in support box to twist lock first piece of class a pipe to. I think that peice actually wentinside the first peice of class A, and that is what I am hanging up on with my brush.

brickman said:
It is Simpson duravent class A pipe. Bought their through ceiling/roof kit for the install. Yes have ceiling support box. Kit came with adaptor peice that you put in support box to twist lock first piece of class a pipe to. I think that peice actually wentinside the first peice of class A, and that is what I am hanging up on with my brush.
Assuming you are cleaning it from the roof, are you hanging up on that piece when pushing down or pulling up on the brush? And is your brush a nylong or steel bristle? Just trying to get a feel for exactly what is going on here.

Similar flue setup on my shop stove. 6" single-wall up to the support box, then Simpson Dura-Vent to daylight. I swept a couple of times with a poly brush and I found that the fit in the Class A was pretty easy to deal with, but the brush seemed a good deal tighter fit in the single-wall. I now use a SootEater from the bottom up, so no longer an issue for me. I know that some folks have looked for brushes that aren't as stiff, or even resorted to trimming their brushes down just a tad to make the sweeping easier. Rick

I also find the fit of the brush the same as you with the two types of pipe. I think that over the two years that i must have bent the adaptor peice slitly in with the brush. Guess I need to just take it apart this spring and find out the problem. No real fear of creosote build up, never have in the past, and I now flue is clear enough for burning. Just dont like the feeling that I cant clean all the way down to stove. Thanks for all your input.

brickman said:
I also find the fit of the brush the same as you with the two types of pipe. I think that over the two years that i must have bent the adaptor peice slitly in with the brush. Guess I need to just take it apart this spring and find out the problem. No real fear of creosote build up, never have in the past, and I now flue is clear enough for burning. Just dont like the feeling that I cant clean all the way down to stove. Thanks for all your input.
maybe take it apart, like you said, and expand the adapter piece from the inside out, where it slides into the single wall. Take the adapter off, and use a peen hammer and a hard flat surface, just tap the piece that slides in the single wall until you get that pipe to transition better. Has to be something simple like that. Do you have any sheet metal screws holding your single wall to the adapter? I know sometimes my brush wants to hang up on those screws, just a little.....

Status
Not open for further replies.