Foam hearth protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
Well we are kid proofing.

We bought one of the kidco hearth gates for the fireplace. But ended up using that elsewhere in the house. I have a good screen that latches onto the fireplace, which should be good (Havent had the fireplace going, it on, and her around, so we will have to see if I need another official gate or not).

But the question is: The fireplace is an insert, with a traditional hearth, about 12" up and 12" out (or there about) and I want to put the foam pad stuff on the edge to minimize the damage when you hit it. The reviews on amazon are all great! BUT those people dont use their fireplaces. I heat my house with it. Has anyone tried that stuff with good results? How about removal, i assume thats not going to be an issue since its slate.

Thanks!

Get another hearth gate. Toddlers are clumsy and fall over a lot. A screen won't stop a falling child. That gate will.

I have one of those edge protectors, but we only use it in the summer time. The corner pieces stay in place, but the strip that goes across the front always works its way off.

Reactions: thedude110
I'm not sure of your setup but, if you are concerned about a little on getting hurt on the corner or edge of the hearth, isn't the insert just a few inches away?
I don't know how much protection your screen gives you but I would probably go with the hearth gate as well.
Good luck.

Curious what this foam stuff is?

Status
Not open for further replies.