Foil Tape for Liner Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2006
OK, so I picked up a kit to insulate my SS chimney flex liner. I bought it late last winter and am now finally getting around to removing the liner and installing the insulation. I open the box and see that I have insulation, the spray adhesive, the mesh "sock" that goes over everything but no foil tape. Did not notice that the tape was not included in the kit, so now I need to track it down.

Can I just pick up foil tape from the home center that is for hvac or is it a special type? If it is made of special unobtainum, then where can I get it? I see lots of ads for liners, insulation, and kits, but no separate roll of tape. I checked vendors that advertise on this site, and nothing. Any help? Thanks, KD

I would think the "weather extreme" nausha tape from home depot would work. Not sure though.... someone else can prob say for sure.

Pardon my ignorance. Where is the foil tape used?

jtp10181 said:
I would think the "weather extreme" nausha tape from home depot would work. Not sure though.... someone else can prob say for sure.
That is the same tape i just used this weekend for my insulation.

Yes, it is for the seam, (others can jump in an describe it if I am not correct).

From my understanding, the flex liner is sprayed with the adhesive, then the insulation (which has one side that is a foil the other is insulation) is wrapped around the liner. The foil portion faces out or towards the cold side, the insulation part is up against the liner. The seam (which probably overlaps a little- I have not checked yet) is then taped with the foil tape.

I imagine a little tape is used at the bottom and the top of the run at the ends just to keep things in place and protected. Then the mesh "sock" is put over the whole thing, and then if everything goes well, it slides down (pulled down, forced down, cursed down, etc) the chimney.

Is that how it worked out for you budman? I am gonna go to home cheapo to pick up some of that tape, but unfortunately, we have a monsoon going on here in Michigan today, so does not look like today is a good day for this project.

Thanks for the info, any other tips would be appreciated, KD

KD,I dident get time this week end to get the liner back in. This is next week end project and hope
all go's well. It shouldent be to bad i have a 12x12 flue and the liner is good to go.

PS GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR'S ;-)

Chimney liner is insulated and back in! I got home from work at 6pm, ate dinner, watched the weather report. This is the only day for no rain for about the next four or five days. Decided it's time to do it.

Pulled the chimney cap, went down inside the stove, removed the take off collar (it unscrews with one bolt from the inside, very handy feature), pulled out the insert using logs as rollers. Freed up things in the firebox, went back on the roof and the liner lifted out nice and easy.

Installed the insulation using the spray adhesive and the Nashua Tape, put on the mesh sock and went back on the roof. It slid down the prefab chimney nice and easy, went back inside, used some furnace cement (3000 degree) and some kaowool around the stainless steel block of plate (above the plate), fudged things into position, screwed the plate on, slid the insert back in after clean up, and tightened the collar from the inside. Got done about a 1/2 hour ago.

I put the chimney cap back on loosely, as I still need to get back up and clean the cap and trim some of the excess insulation (I left it a little long). But I'm happy it's nearly done.

I did notice the galvanized flashing (top of the stick construction chimney chase) is gonna need replacing next year due to rust. Good thing I grabbed a few stainless steel panels from the garbage bin at work!

Just hope I get a little window of no rain to finish it off on thursday. Thanks for all the help! KD

You might want to replace that chase top sooner rather than later. Depends on how much rust you have. I have seen them spill rust streaks down the side of the chase which is pretty ugly.

kd460 said:
Chimney liner is insulated and back in! I got home from work at 6pm, ate dinner, watched the weather report. This is the only day for no rain for about the next four or five days. Decided it's time to do it.

Pulled the chimney cap, went down inside the stove, removed the take off collar (it unscrews with one bolt from the inside, very handy feature), pulled out the insert using logs as rollers. Freed up things in the firebox, went back on the roof and the liner lifted out nice and easy.

Installed the insulation using the spray adhesive and the Nashua Tape, put on the mesh sock and went back on the roof. It slid down the prefab chimney nice and easy, went back inside, used some furnace cement (3000 degree) and some kaowool around the stainless steel block of plate (above the plate), fudged things into position, screwed the plate on, slid the insert back in after clean up, and tightened the collar from the inside. Got done about a 1/2 hour ago.

I put the chimney cap back on loosely, as I still need to get back up and clean the cap and trim some of the excess insulation (I left it a little long). But I'm happy it's nearly done.

I did notice the galvanized flashing (top of the stick construction chimney chase) is gonna need replacing next year due to rust. Good thing I grabbed a few stainless steel panels from the garbage bin at work!

Just hope I get a little window of no rain to finish it off on thursday. Thanks for all the help! KD
ALL IN 3 HOUR'S I DON'T THINK SO!

Sorry Budman! It's a done deal! That time frame included cleaning the chimney liner first before removal. Add about 20 minutes the next day to button things up on the roof, and replace the firebricks in the insert, but otherwise, smooth as silk!

Thursday started off ugly weather wise, but we had a bit of a clearing, so thursday afternoon I went back up, cleaned the chimney cap louvers, checked all my caulking from the previous year, screwed cap back on and it was a done deal.

Even had a small fire in it just to check things out. It was 90 degrees outside on thursday, 72 degrees inside the house, and I had a fire going in the insert!

I might add that I am only dealing with 14 foot of chimney, and it is a prefab chimney, with double wall pipe that the liner goes into. It is a straight run from chimney cap to insert collar, so that is why it went so fast. No smoke shelf or bends to deal with. KD

Yeah KD I was cussing you today. You and that nice smooth metal chimney to slide the liner down and no smoke shelf. While I was wrestling with the reline and smoke shelf and stove that sits so high up to the damper frame and smoke shelf ledge that a curve down into the flue collar is impossible! And you have room for insulation on top of that!

Good job guy. Grrrr...

BB - Jealous

:) :cheese: :p ;-)

BrotherBart said:
Yeah KD I was cussing you today. You and that nice smooth metal chimney to slide the liner down and no smoke shelf. While I was wrestling with the reline and smoke shelf and stove that sits so high up to the damper frame and smoke shelf ledge that a curve down into the flue collar is impossible! And you have room for insulation on top of that!

Good job guy. Grrrr...

BB - Jealous
I was in the same boat as you BB and was 92 degrees yesterday. :ahhh:

budman said:
BrotherBart said:

Good job guy. Grrrr...

BB - Jealous
I was in the same boat as you BB and was 92 degrees yesterday. :ahhh:

Only 92? Envious again. This weather here is a mess. We managed to hit 96 yesterday with average humity of 80 percent and went to 100. Hellacious lightning and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Trips up on the roof were murder.

With four feet of stainless liner sticking up in the air out of the two story chimney I moved far away from that fireplace during the lightning. I wanted as much clearance to combustibles (me) as I could get.

Looks like you are right on the front line BB. Hopefully the beer is also safely out of the line of fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.