For those that cook on their stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
What do you cook in? I just got a 9qt Lodge cast iron dutch oven to cook with on mine and I can't wait until I make that first batch of venison chili. Just curious what else everyone uses.

fv

I use an old griswold dutch oven. If I am using the stove to heat the house and not just take a chill off, I often need to adjust the dutch oven by taking off the cook top once things get going on moving it onto a piece of soap stone sitting on the stove, a piece of tile, or a trivet that I have. Having a piece of foil down on the stove top is not a bad idea either.

I like doing pot roast on mine. Lots of posts on here over the last few years about cooking. Pizza was the latest fad (done inside the stove of course).

Here's a link to an old post of mine w/ my old stove cooking a pot roast. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34392/

pen

I've got a bunch of Lodge stuff. I use it all the time, never sticks. I also use any other pan I have around. Any of them work on a wood stove.

I also have a wood-fired range. With a couple of ovens. I use either cast iron or glass stuff to bake/cook in the oven. We also use the normal cookie sheets, bread pans, etc. Really, anything that works well in a gas or elec. oven works great in a wood oven. Same thing on the top of the stove. Anything works, whatever you happen to have. If you have a relatively thin steel stovetop that gets red hot or something, of course you would want a heavier-type pot to moderate the high heat. And in that case I think cast iron is by far the best bet.

I did get rid of all our non-stick cookware gradually over the past year and have replaced it, as I could afford to, with Lodge cast iron. I had been using cast iron for many years, but it was mostly lower-quality cookware people had given me or I'd found somewhere for next to nothing. My results were so-so and often a mess. The Lodge words far better and it is so reasonably priced I tried one small frying pan and was hooked. We now have no non-stick cookware except a waffle iron. I became tired of the non-stick, even the pricier stuff, wearing out after a few years and the frequent reports of how it could be a health issue. The cast iron stuff, I have found, is easily as non-stick if treated right.

To help moderate heat when cooking on a wood stove, such as when you want to simmer or slower-cook something or just keep it hot, we bought a trivet [metal device you put the pot on to remove it from direct contact from the stove top]. We got ours from Lodge [and I am not working for Lodge, by the way!!] and it was only about $8. Well worth it. My wife ordered it and I was ho-hum, but I ended up using it almost every day.

Thanks Steve, great info about the trivet.

fv

I just use the same stainless steel pots and pans I use on my electric range. I don't cook a whole lot on the stove but sometimes like to warm up soups or stews or an occasional roast in a dutch oven.

Another thing I've tried is wrapping up potatoes in some foil, lifting the top lid of the Fireview and sticking them in the back near the exhaust. 30-40 minutes later I have baked potatoes.

I'm not the cook of the house but my wife does pretty much what Todd does. During the winter months she'll have something cooking on the stove most days and if making something like apple butter which needs a long time, the house will pick up that odor and it is sweet! So all in all, we do nothing special; just use whatever.

EDIT: I should add that one other thing we tend to do is always have water on the stove and before I shower I'll use some of that hot water and just pour it in the bathtub. This warms the bottom of the tub so I don't step in and get instant cold feet. I have a physical problem and cold feet are one offshoot of it so this works. Perhaps I should add that we take sort of a military shower. That is, we do not let the water run. Get the washcloth wet and then soap down. When all washed then turn the shower on for rinsing. Saves a bunch by not having to heat as much water. We've done this for years now and at first it seemed odd but it did not take long before it felt normal. Yes, sometimes I do have the water on all through the shower but that is only because of pain or stiffness, usually in the neck or lower back. The hot water then really helps.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'm not the cook of the house but my wife does pretty much what Todd does. During the winter months she'll have something cooking on the stove most days and if making something like apple butter which needs a long time, the house will pick up that odor and it is sweet! So all in all, we do nothing special; just use whatever.

EDIT: I should add that one other thing we tend to do is always have water on the stove and before I shower I'll use some of that hot water and just pour it in the bathtub. This warms the bottom of the tub so I don't step in and get instant cold feet. I have a physical problem and cold feet are one offshoot of it so this works. Perhaps I should add that we take sort of a military shower. That is, we do not let the water run. Get the washcloth wet and then soap down. When all washed then turn the shower on for rinsing. Saves a bunch by not having to heat as much water. We've done this for years now and at first it seemed odd but it did not take long before it felt normal. Yes, sometimes I do have the water on all through the shower but that is only because of pain or stiffness, usually in the neck or lower back. The hot water then really helps.

Yep, use to call those "sea showers", I don't like them anymore but I like your idea of warming up the tub with stove water.

Todd, that is what our oldest son said too and he was a navy man.

Well, gosh...let's see. I don't cook on either of my stoves, nor do I keep a kettle or whatever of water on either of them. I do take showers, though, and I was in the Navy (30+ years). Speaking of venison chili, I bet we could steer this thread right on over into hunting and then guns and then the second amendment, unless you all just want to discuss showers. %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.