For those who think a Fiskars is too expensive!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't follow what these guys are doing. I don't know if they are making their handles from scratch or what, but I saw a handful of axes with handles that I would have tossed to the side if I was looking through the replacement rack at the local farm store. There were some that I guarantee will split right in two if used to any degree for real work.

What's so darned special about the head? it looks like a moderately polished version of my 50 year old (plus?) axe from my great-great uncle.

I do like the designs and the finish on the handles looks pretty cool. Not at any of the prices they are asking, though.

short version: people have too much money. people will pay for anything. people will take advantage of people.

LLigetfa said:
... but it only comes in a cardboard box...
I think the box is a ploy to make people feel justified for spending so much. if you have a good axe you can wrap a sheath of cardboard on the handle and put a decent leather protector on the head. new owner rips off cardboard and chops the heck out of something.

If they remain in business longer than a year, I will start a website selling $500.00 dollar plaid shirts, $400.00 designer mackinaws, and hand-painted chainsaw pants for $600.00. Anyone else in?

Sisu said:
If they remain in business longer than a year, I will start a website selling $500.00 dollar plaid shirts, $400.00 designer mackinaws, and hand-painted chainsaw pants for $600.00. Anyone else in?
I won't take you on that bet, because they only have to convince a handful of people to make this a profitable business.

was watching a kid's cartoon last night and the evil villian said was gonna freeze the town and sell hot chocolate as a scheme to get rich. he was going to give away the first cup and the second cup, but the third cup would be for $2 million. Then he'd only have to sell three cups to get rich.

these dorks have probably covered every dime of expense by selling three axes.

Dorks? They are the smart one's.
The dorks are the one's who come on here asking for reviews of every
gadget that comes along.

I lost interest after reading this line in the article: "There are better axes by far, if the goal is to split a piece of wood with the minimum amount of effort.”
Nothing says waste like an expensive tool that is useless for practical purposes.

I watched 30 secs of the video and figured it out. They get the axes from asupplier in "New England" and paint the handle, put it in a wooden box with fancy packaging and sell it as functional art. I hope they make a zillion dollars selling to yuppies.

they have sold about 500 units so far...lol

why the heck can't I think of such a thing.

I think the most I could spend on an axe would be to get a Gransfors Bruks.. and I could afford one.

It's all in the packaging . . . definitely a pretty tool . . . too pretty to be used . . . and too pretty to be useful. Guess I'll stick with my True Value Hardware ax for what little I need to chop.

The head is 1.5 kg, which is a little over three pounds. How wimpy. He says he keeps it around to intimidate people?

People with more money than sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.