Forby's dilemna & wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
After reading through Forby's thread I'm wondering if there isn't some danger in burning wet wood and not just from a creosote standpoint.

Is it possible that while burning wet wood the stove temp may be down but the heat is higher than one would expect?

To burn wet wood the fire has to combust the wood as well as vaporize the water. To vaporize water consumes a huge amount of calories which keeps the temperatures down. However, the heat is still there. It may not be effectively dumping into your room, but it's in the stove and going up the flue.

I can't quite illustrate it with words, but I know that steam at 212* will burn you worse than water at 212*. Same temp, different amount of heat.

Could this somehow have been how Forby warped the baffles while keeping the temps down? Then when his wood finally dried, the temps shot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.