Forgive me forum I have sinned again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Responded to a CL add for oak and beech to be used for firewood in my town. Went today, most was way past its prime on the ground. One was off the ground. Cut it up, brought it home. Looks like white oak. The driest oak I have lifted. Looks and feels like it should be ready for next year.
I usually don't take oak, I was hoping for the beech.

Attachments

• oak bedminster.jpg
    oak bedminster.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 452
You are back too soon my son. :mad: Two viewings of the Canadian clean burning video and three Hail Fiskars.

gzecc nice score on the oak.

zap

I don't remember your situation exactly. Are you on limited stack space? Oak seems like a no brainer, even if you have to wait. Just put it aside, its free right?!?! I've cut down 4 oaks in the past month.

javier said:
I don't remember your situation exactly. Are you on limited stack space? Oak seems like a no brainer, even if you have to wait. Just put it aside, its free right?!?! I've cut down 4 oaks in the past month.
I have chosen not to seek out oak. It takes too long to season (2 yrs, I have some that took 3). I will accept it if it gets dropped in my yard, but will not work for it. I prefer, locust, ash, cherry, hard maple, hickory, or beech.

Thats Murphys law or Karma or something, I guess I need to keep telling myself to not take oak and then it will apear :lol:

Once again I do not understand why some people have so much trouble getting oak to season, been burning it for ever and depending on size and splits it can take a long time but if done correctly one summer for small splits and two summers for larger splits and rounds, I just do not see the 3 year thing if stacked in single rows in the sun.

Oldspark. I've heard and read this very same thing for a long time and I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the area has something to do with the drying? Naturally areas that receive more rain will be affected more than the drier climates. Around here, white oak does not take as long as red oak and pin oak seems to be the worst. I had a small amount of pin oak that I let set for 6 years (but not in a single row) and the danged stuff still was too wet to burn. Red oaks around here we just assume 3 years minimum. Of course, one can do things, like splitting extra small and placing the wood pile in the most ideal spot, etc., but as a general rule, the danged stuff is just slow to dry.

I don't have ideal locations for drying. Therefore I would rather scroung quick drying species. I do have some oak that I processed and needed over 2 yrs for seasoning. This oak was not in the best location.
The last oak I got, seems very dry off the bat. Should be ready for next yr.

Been heating this barn with red and white oak for 28 years. I must be the only person on earth that has white oak trees that take longer to dry than the red oak ones. Damned white oak takes forever to dry because of the tight grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.