Forgive me !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey Wrench

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2009
On The Farm
There comes a time in any persons life when he or she realizes that ..tommorrow might be Today!

Well, thats where I am.
I wants to go out with the best selection of Stihl Saws I can afford. I have $1000. max
My current saws are being donated to the local F.D>

Monkey Wrench said:
There comes a time in any persons life when he or she realizes that ..tommorrow might be Today!

Well, thats where I am.
I wants to go out with the best selection of Stihl Saws I can afford. I have $1000. max

ms 460

Good for a one saw, but if you are really set on plural, I might look 361 and the 192 tophandle. Should be able to do just about anything with these.
Chad

Good on you for donating to the local F.D. However, don't give up the boat yet, live for the day and look forward to many more.

Happened to me, too. Woke up one day and discovered I wasn't 15 anymore.......... :exclaim:

smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

Agreed. Except maybe I'd go with a 361 instead.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

1000.00 bucks I have both 361/460 and the 460 is a much better saw. If I was looking for 2 saw for 1000.00 it would be 290,390

441 and the new 211. You're gonna be $100 over budget, but it's a great 2 saw plan. (The 211 is a much better machine than the 210 it's replacing).

Or else...Go for the 362 and bank the rest so you'll have the necessary liquidity for a CL or barn sale find.

How much money you have to spend is a good thing to know, but its much more important to know what use you will make of the saw. I know that if I had a grand and planned to buy more than one saw that either a 260 or a 361/362 would be on the list - from there I'd either buy a larger saw or a smaller one depending on what the major use was going to be.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

1000.00 bucks I have both 361/460 and the 460 is a much better saw. If I was looking for 2 saw for 1000.00 it would be 290,390

I said maybe.

290/390? Really? Why not just 2 390s?

CrawfordCentury said:
441 and the new 211. You're gonna be $100 over budget, but it's a great 2 saw plan. (The 211 is a much better machine than the 210 it's replacing).

Or else...Go for the 362 and bank the rest so you'll have the necessary liquidity for a CL or barn sale find.

Skip the 2 saw plan and the 441.

The 460 is identical in weight and dimension and is only $30 more for a whole lot more saw.

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

I said maybe.

290 is easy to handle 16-20in. bar and the 390 can run the 24- 28 in bar still under 1000.00

Dolmar 7900 and 5100 - obligatory plug...

Gooserider

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Monkey Wrench" date="1262666023 said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

I said maybe.

290 is easy to handle 16-20in. bar and the 390 can run the 24- 28 in bar still under 1000.00

I'm pretty sure you could get out of my local Stihl dealer with two 390s for less than $1000

Bigg_Redd said:
CrawfordCentury said:

Skip the 2 saw plan and the 441.

The 460 is identical in weight and dimension and is only $30 more for a whole lot more saw.

Point taken on the 460.

For me personally, I wouldn't want to be in a position where I only had one saw. Be a real bummer if a strike while the iron's hot free wood lead came along and it was either on the work bench or in the shop.

Redd, I made a comment about that on another site: someone can ask for a suggestion on what to drink for beer or how to make a cheese sandwich or something similarly benign and, inevitably, someone will suggest DOLMAR 5100!!!

S

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay" date="1262667824 said:
Monkey Wrench" date="1262666023 said:

Well, thats where I am.

ms 460

I said maybe.

I'm pretty sure you could get out of my local Stihl dealer with two 390s for less than $1000

lol yep but before I would buy 2-390 I would buy one 460.

Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

I Just got a quote for $990. +tax
361 w/20 bar, and 260 pro 16'' bar.

Monkey Wrench said:
Monkey Wrench said:

Well, thats where I am.

I Just got a quote for $990. +tax
361 w/20 bar, and 260 pro 16'' bar.

thats an odd combo what kind of timber you cutting?

Two saws are pretty close together in terms of bars etc. Would you ever really grab for the 260? I really don't think so. You should take a look at a small top handle. It makes limbing trees very easy and for limbs up to about 6" cutting to lengths is quick and easy. One hand makes some nice work of the small stuff. If you know an arborist you should see if he will let you try it out.
Chad

Do the saw have to be new???

My vote 038 MAG II or a 044.. For a small saw why???lol...I have been real happy with my MS290..To do again I prob would have got a 260...Again no regrets with the 290 and would not turn down a good deal one one.....

Just because you have it available you shouldn't waste it. Those saws are going to loose 20-30% ($300) of their value after your first day of cutting. Buy a couple used, bought by someone with too much money burning a hole in their pockets. High quality used equipment holds it value.

gzecc said:
Just because you have it available you shouldn't waste it. Those saws are going to loose 20-30% ($300) of their value after your first day of cutting. Buy a couple used, bought by someone with too much money burning a hole in their pockets. High quality used equipment holds it value.

have you ever watch the stihl saws on ebay a good one will go for new price sold a ms 180 paid 199.00 new sold for 210.00 like new.

Smokein- Who in their right mind would pay that without a guarantee and then pay shipping?
Remember what WC Fields said!

Status
Not open for further replies.