Forum question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Craig, what's the criteria for posts to show up in bold?

Craig- I don't think that that's what he was asking about. I took it to mean that he was asking about the criteria that is used to decide whether a post shows up in bold or not on the listing of all the topics. Something like "if there have been no new posts since you last read a topic, leave the title in regular type - if there have been new posts, then bold it". My guess is he's asking for a little more detail about that process.

Warren said:

OH, in that case I think it should be threads that have new posts on them or something like that. This feature may or may not work right depending upon your browser and perhaps the firewall or ISP that you use.

Webmaster said:
Warren said:

OH, in that case I think it should be threads that have new posts on them or something like that. This feature may or may not work right depending upon your browser and perhaps the firewall or ISP that you use.

Yes, this is my question. But it doesn't seem reliable, regardless of my browser. I use FireFox mostly, but Mozilla and IE both appear to show the same topics in bold. Just an FYI. Not a serious impact, a minor usability thing.

Your browser is probably keeping the page in cache. For instance on this login, there are 10 posts that appear bold to me, meaning they have been added to since the last time I was on the page. If I go in and read some posts, then hit the back button, all 10 still appear bold. If I hit the reload button, the ones I read will be displayed in standard type, but the unread ones still in bold. Likewise after this posting...if I go back, this thread will still show bold until I hit refresh.

Hope this helps.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.