Found a "biggy" that will fit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Just discovered the kodiak 1700 insert that will fit into my fireplace opening. It has a 2.5 cu.ft firebox and 5/16 top steel. Not a prettry thing,but rugged. :red: and this thing is practically built in my backyard,right here on the island 50 klicks away. I been napping too much I guess.

Now that old burntime boast that I know ain`t so. states 8-12 hours. but as I burn mostly douglas fir,I`m wondering if even 8 hours of nice heat can be realized? If most of you think that is possible then maybe I ought to try and get that sucker installed for next winter. I paid $1.10 a litrer for my last oil del. and now it is 1.25-ouch.

My old pe gives off nice heat, but only getting 4 hours between fill-ups, and would like to burn 24/7 as opposed to 16/7.

Thoughts and opinions?

Did you check the Olympic Insert? It has a 3.1cuft firebox

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Did you check the Olympic Insert? It has a 3.1cuft firebox

Ya, and the summit. I don`t have the width. Funny thing about the kodiak, the 1200 with the 1.85 cu.ft firebox is the same as the bigger one-except in depth. 13.5 inches for the small one and 18 inch for the bigger one. But the width back and front,and the height, are the same.

If it weren`t for the width, I`d love to have the summit. My old pe calls for a min.depth of 18.5 so I know I have that covered. Too bad about the width,cause I know the summit would give me an 8 hour burn even with softwoods. What do you think about the 2.5 box with softwoods? Maybe? Close?

I was going to purchase a kodiak stove but no one on this sight could provide any real information on this stove. I also thought they were nicely built but did not want to pay for something I did not know about. I eventually went with a quadra fire 5700 series and I am very happy with this stove. Just my 2 cents.

[quote author="Jimbob" date="1206517279"]Looks to be a good insert, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
I like Enviro-fire's products. The only reason I usually don't tell people about them is I forget they exist!....:)

After phoning a couple of the dealers I am not that happy! The $1349 price is misleading.

249 for the door
389 for shroud-surround.

What really ticked me off was the 249 for the door! Hello, what good is an insert without a door? So now we are at close to 2k not including taxes. The pe pacific is the same price complete (albeit with a smaller firebox).

Jimbob said:
Yikes, that is high!!

It was high. Phoned a dealer down in Victoria and am getting it for $1589 cash and carry. I would rather have bought locally,but for a 400 hundred savings I will drive the extra 50 klicks. Really does pay to work the phone lines and shop around.

Glad you found it for cheaper.
It DEFINITELY pays to shop around.
I'm sure the Kodiak will be a good stove.
I looked @ Enviro's free-standing stoves, but around here their biggest one was more $$$ than the Summit I bought.
Also, I like the P.E. dealer around here better.

Status
Not open for further replies.