Found a Peavey at a yardsale!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's old, but still has lots of life left in it! I went up to a friends farm since I'm not by my house (and I knew he had a few logs lying around) and rolled a few 18"x25 ft logs around for fun. I think I'll get my $12 back out of it.

Pics will go up when I get back home next week.

Matt

Hi -

I got one the same way. I finally broke the wooden handle so I'll have to make a new one. I was using it to 'twist' a hung tree that was still standing fairly upright... then it took a bad bounce. They are pretty handy, much safer than som eof the alternatives I've tried.

ATB,
Mike

I have been looking for quite a few years and no luck on finding one. My wife always says, no more tag sales, no more flea markets.

KC

a little searching might yield a handle source yet. when I started buring wood I brought up my dads cant hook that I had used on the farm as a kid dismantling railroad bridges. Handle looked great but was dry rotted and broke. The local 'old timer' hardware store ordered me one. At that time, 10 years back, there was a family business in (TN or KY or somewhere down there) still making top quality pick, axe, maul, etc etc handles and they stocked cant hook ones. cost me $18 delivered to the hardware store. no idea if they are still around, probably bankrupted by china competition. worth some searching.

Quality old tools, It will last past my lifetime for sure. definite backsaver. I made a pivoting foot to use it as a log lifter also. Much better than the 'timberjack' as the log does not have to roll as much. I posted pics somewhere here or AS a year or so back.

kcj

The original Peavey Company is still in existence up in Maine. I just got a peavey from them two weeks ago. Works great and nothing like the junk I'd seen in all the hardware stores around here. They have handles, cant hooks, peaveys, and a lot of other related items too. Try http://peaveymfg.com or Peavey Manufacturing Co. P.O. Box 129. Eddington, Maine 04428. Toll Free: 1-888-244-0955.

Mike

dogwood said:
The original Peavey Company is still in existence up in Maine. I just got a peavey from them two weeks ago. Works great and nothing like the junk I'd seen in all the hardware stores around here. They have handles, cant hooks, peaveys, and a lot of other related items too. Try http://peaveymfg.com or Peavey Manufacturing Co. P.O. Box 129. Eddington, Maine 04428. Toll Free: 1-888-244-0955.

Mike

And a benefit to any locals is that you can buy the ash scraps and slabs that they use for the handles for a relatively low price . . . if you're looking for some kindling or shoulder season wood. A guy last year that I knew got a trailer load for $15 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.