found a pigeon with leg tags

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I found a pigeon with a tag on each leg, dead next to the wood pile. One tag is red , the other is yellow and has AU 2009 and USMC 979 on it. Who should I report it too, anyone know ? It's not every day a pigeon drops in on your wood pile with ID on it.
Mike

maybe the Audubon society? or the Marine Corps? must have been a very popular pigeon to be labeled twice.

AU = American Racing Pigeon
http://www.pigeon.org/

whoever owns it might want the tags, or at least know what happened to it.

UPDATE Thanks for the info. I found the him online (where else could you find it) I spoke to the owner just a few mins ago. This was one of his racing birds. It is an interesting hobbie. He released a bunch of birds from Ohio. His home base is in Mass. It is a 600 plus mile race. The yellow band is the birds ID that connected me to him. The red band is a device that electronically registers the bird when it gets home, I guess kind of like the finish line. He said he got 6 birds back quite quickly, they were launched on the sat before last. The heat may have gotten to some or the birds. He was sad to see one died but grateful to know where. Apparently, it's a pretty serious hobbie. I assured him we would give him a proper burial in the garden, along with all of the other pets we have put out there. Who would have thunk a bird in the yard could be some ones else's hobby.

I'm still hung up on "Racing Pigeon".... never ever considered the idea. Probably an interesting hobby though. Nice of you to honor the bird with a proper burial.

Status
Not open for further replies.