Found This Out In The Woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Jul 12, 2009
NC
Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• 100_0269.jpg
    100_0269.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 100_0267.jpg
    100_0267.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 1,121
The first thing that comes to mind is an old wagon axle of some sort, but the lower of the two pics confuses me unless it was bent at some time. Old woods junk is always fun to figure out.

It's got what is left of a piece of wood between the pieces. Probably a bumper of some sort.

Wow, haven't seen one of those for a while! That, my friends, is the rear trunion axle support mount for an 1874 model 'G' strolling feather coach--the 'choice of the proud,' as its advertising slogans declared (see attached ad).

S

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    74.7 KB · Views: 929
The square tubing makes me think newer than horse drawn. Part of an old car from the '30's or earlier?
Them long u bolts mean something thick was bolted to it.

I think I remember that from "The Blair Witch Project".

thinkxingu said:
Wow, haven't seen one of those for a while! That, my friends, is the rear trunion axle support mount for an 1874 model 'G' strolling feather coach--the 'choice of the proud,' as its advertising slogans declared (see attached ad).

S

Excellent!

Amish time machine.. circa 1900's.

Looks manufactured, so probably early 1900's piece of a truck, farm implement, etc.

I like old woods stuff too. Maybe there should be a "post your junk" thread?

kettensäge said:
The square tubing makes me think newer than horse drawn. Part of an old car from the '30's or earlier?

It's not tubing, in fact it is not even steel. It is wrought iron, almost pure iron which is very resistant to rust. That piece actualy has some value to a blacksmith, since that metal isn't made any more, it is very soft, and forge-welds easily.

Wrought iron is commonly available today...

DanCorcoran said:
Wrought iron is commonly available today...

From where? Mind posting some links?

"To clearly identify stock material used in our line of hand forged wrought iron architectural components, we have categorized most of the line into "Stock Material Families". This unique identification system (a first in the industry with patents pending) gives designers an instant indicator for components that can be used together with the stock material being an exact match."

The following link will take you to their website (they have warehouses in Los Angeles, Dallas, and Baltimore). Hope this helps.

http://www.kingmetals.com/default.a...customer/kiarme/customerpages/familycodes.htm

DanCorcoran said:
"To clearly identify stock material used in our line of hand forged wrought iron architectural components, we have categorized most of the line into "Stock Material Families". This unique identification system (a first in the industry with patents pending) gives designers an instant indicator for components that can be used together with the stock material being an exact match."

The following link will take you to their website (they have warehouses in Los Angeles, Dallas, and Baltimore). Hope this helps.

http://www.kingmetals.com/default.a...customer/kiarme/customerpages/familycodes.htm

Sorry but King doesn't sell wrought iron, nor does any one else in the world. It went out of general usage 70-80 years ago and the very last manufacturer closed in the early seventies. The only wrought iron available is old reclaimed material or hand-made, a few pounds at a time. By the way, King sells the very low end of ornamental metal supplies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrought_iron

This link explains true wrought iron as well as the common usage term which confused you.

Dune,

Thanks for the information. Who'd have thought that wrought iron isn't wrought iron? One reason for my interest is that we live about 5 miles from the Tredegar Iron Works:

"By 1860, the Tredegar Iron Works was the largest of its kind in the South, a fact that played a significant role in the decision to relocate the capital of the Confederacy from Montgomery, Alabama, to Richmond in May 1861. Tredegar supplied high-quality munitions to the South during the war. The company also manufactured railroad steam locomotives in the same period.

* Tredegar Iron Works made the iron plating for the first Confederate ironclad warship, the CSS Virginia, which fought in the historic Battle of Hampton Roads in March 1862."

what will be left of my 02 Tundra in 3 years.

Mad Tom said:
what will be left of my 02 Tundra in 3 years.

Many of the original 1877 Tundras (made by the Tredegar Iron Works) are still going strong, so don't worry!

While I have no idea what it is from I can say it's larger than the parts that broke off my SUV recently and caused my front stabilizer to fail........... :)

Dune said:
kettensäge said:

It's not tubing, in fact it is not even steel. It is wrought iron, almost pure iron which is very resistant to rust. That piece actualy has some value to a blacksmith, since that metal isn't made any more, it is very soft, and forge-welds easily.

Thanks Dune, good to learn something new.

Guess that would have to make that square piece solid?

I, myself spent some time last weekend far into the woods of the Santa Cruz mountains. About 150 years ago, most of the old growth red woods where harvested and hauled down Page Mill Road to build Red Wood City (CA). Anyway I found these things as part of an old lumber camp trash dump and can't figure out what they are. The picture on the far right is of one of the bigger stumps found in the area - about 9 feet in diameter and probably 2000 years old.

Attachments

• FoundThisInTheWoods.compressed.1.jpg
    FoundThisInTheWoods.compressed.1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 216
  • FoundThisInTheWoods.compressed.2.jpg
    FoundThisInTheWoods.compressed.2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 217
  • ReallyBigStump.compressed.jpg
    ReallyBigStump.compressed.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 238
The first piece looks like an axle off some sort of wagon or maybe a logging arch? the spindles at each end are typical of the hubs that were used before ball or roller bearings. There should be threads at each end of the axle. Probably from around 1900-1930, maybe even 1880-1950. Any older and there wouldn't be any wood left and hubs would more likely be hollow cast iron to fit over the end of a wood axle. You can see the upsetting in the steel where it was bent in the factory, not built in a small shop somewhere.

No idea what the CA pieces are, some kind of lever, or eveners for many teams of horse?

Reminds me of an Amish joke, what do you get when you cross an Elephant with a Rhino?

-------------------ELEPH-INO----------------------

Each peice of that iron weighs about 40 pounds and some have been bent and broken. Perhaps you are right about them being levelers. The size of the logs they took out of there back then were humongus and probably weighed many tons which may have bent and or broken them.

Status
Not open for further replies.