FPX-36 Elite Electrical Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner73

Jul 22, 2008
NY
Had an installer put in an FPX-36 Elite.

Looks beautiful and stone work is done.....

Now the fun part.

The installer left three wires hanging from my ceiling in the basement. Two armored and (1) Romex.

He put the wires together and told me what to wire.

I verified I have 120VOlt in my box and wired it up.

I have the summer switch. Plugged in and hit the summer switch. No dice....no fan turned on.

I used a meter and measured across the male and female plugs coming out from the FPX. In both cases I did not get 120V.

Should I get 120V going into the rheo-stat???

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the FPX. I searched travis and they only had general installation but no detailed schematics.

I hope this is an easy fix.....really don't want to break up the stone.

TIA

You need to know what each of the cables goes to and label them. Otherwise it's just guessing. Call the installer and ask.

That I do know:

Cable (1) My 120VOlt Live Feed
Cable (2) TO the FPX
Cable (3) Out from FPX to basement
able (4) To Fan (BLower)

Cable 1& 2 tied together Cables 3&4;TIed Together

I have a one of those outlet tester lights (small LED) with two leads.

When I put it on tw ofthe leads from the FPX the LED flickers. Almost seems like stray voltage

I am a little confused after reading the manual. There should be only a line feed to the stove. The fan control and optional summer switch should be wired at the fireplace's switch plate. Do you have the summer switch installed on the switch panel and is it set to 'on' when you are testing?

Yes the switch is set to on.

I'll check with the installer.

But from what I was told there is a juncton box under the fpx. So we are running a hot to the fpx for the rheostat and summer switch, then instead of a line direct to the fan he ran it back down to my basement. From there I connect that wire to the lead to goes to the blower/fan.

Why it doesn't go direct to the fan confuses me.

Does the fan run on 120Volt?

I can;t understand why i have this wierd stray voltage.

Just wanted to post how the problem was resolved.

There were two tings wrong.

1. The rheostat/summer switch assemby originally supplied on my unit was bad. This is why I did not get ower in my junction box.

2. Once replaced I go power but still had an issue. There are two leads in BX that come from the FPX that are supposed to go to the fan. Since my fan is somewhat far away I needed to tie to an RX cable that then extends to the blower. THe BX from the FPX has two white wires. Guess What??? if reversed the fan doesn't spin.

So now operation. Will put first experiences in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.