FPX 44 gasket wear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
At the end of last season, my first, with the FPX 44 the gasket material was pretty worn and torn. I got hold of some gasket cement and repaired. I noticed yesterday that an abnormal amount of heat seemed to be radiating from around the doors. First thought was that the door wasnt latched tight, but it was. I then checked the gasket material and noticed that on the right side door it was really in bad shape. I believe this is causing the higher outside heat as it is escaping from the unit - reason would also say that it is allowing more air into the unit.

Have you other FPX owners had issues with the gasket? If so, what have you done about it?

I think I may had burned mine to, and I think it was related to me pressing down the top of the gasket after I would clean the glass (and kinda bump it up) and so I would press it down and probably to firmly, and was starting to "cut" the top edge against the glass and this thru first and second years. Now in third year, and not knowing if I needed to do anything about it this year, I kinda pushed it back up a little (does that make sense), thinking it might buy me some time 'til I could replace it. However, I've noticed my glass stays cleaner and I'm probably gonna make it thru the season as it is.

My biggest wear is along the middle door seam, not the top. I have had a little wear of the nature you describe but not a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.