FPX 864 TRV GS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcjohnson

Dec 20, 2010
Indiana
I am considering the FPX 864 TRV GS to be installed in my basement. I was wondering if anyone has one of these and what your experience has been with it. Wood is my primary heat source for the first floor and I just need this new gas fireplace to heat the basement when we want to use it. It is 1900 sf, open floor plan, and it stays 64 degress without any heat.

Although this post belongs in the gas section, I'll tell you this: FPX makes one helluva fireplace. When my parents wanted one, the 864TRVGS is what I put in for them. Nice fire, lotsa options, easy to use. Here is theirs after we were done.

Attachments

• fireplace at moms.jpg
    fireplace at moms.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 736
Thanks for the pic and the reply.

I can't speak for this particular model, but I am completely sold on Travis Industries' Fireplace Xtrordinaire (FPX) line. I installed one of their gas fireplaces in a house I owned back in the late 1990's. After I moved to our present house I could barely wait until I had enough money to install their wood-burning fireplace, which I did last year. I don't think you can go wrong with this company. (and no - I don't work for them or profit from their sales in any way).

-Speak

at 1900 sq ft in your basement i would seriously consider going to the FPX 864HO, still an IPI system with all the greensmart options, with the turn down rate that's available you can still control the amount of gas you're using, but at 40k BTU it has the capability of throwing out some real heat when needed.

The TRV w/ blower is 31k btus, only 9k btus off the HO.

Summit, on paper doesn't look like much, but sit in front of each one & there is a world of difference, just my humble opinion though :)

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it. I decided that the 31k btu non HO unit should be sufficient but appreciate the input. I will let you know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.