FPX/Avalon/Lopi questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice-N-Warm

Aug 20, 2008
Southern CT
Hello to all,

Question on flush mount inserts.... I really liked the Jotul 550, but my fireplace opening came up 1/2" short in width, so that's a no-go. I'm now investigating the FPX/Avalon/Lopi inserts. The 33 Elite or Perfect Fit models. (My hearth and room setup aren't conducive to a free standing stove or insert that extends much onto the hearth.)

Anyone out here have any experience with any of these models or recommend other inserts I should take some time looking at??

My specific questions

1. Fan noise... Is it bearable? This would be in our family room where we spend most of our time.

2. Are these models usable in power outages (not that we have many, but it does happen)? I know the fans won't run.... but is it OK to keep the stove going for SOME heat output? I'm working on a battery backup arrangement, but not sure how that'll fly.

3. Heat output and burn time...... Acceptable? The insert would be in a decent size room.. as mentioned, a family room which runs into our kitchen... total area approx 40 x 25 with cathedral ceiling over much of it. I'm hoping with some work and strategically placed ducting, I can run some heat to the rest of the house as well.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer, I really appreciate this forum, it's been a great source of info!

By the way, my brother and I have been splitting a BUNCH of wood on his new Super Splitter, so far about 10 cords. I would highly recommend this unit. It's simple to operate, handles anything we throw at it, and it's pretty speedy too!

You may wish to look at the Vermont Castings MONTPELIER Non-Catalytic Medium Wood Insert. It is new, so you won't get too much feed back. I recently saw this one and the Jotul Rockland, Kennebec and Winterport. Also saw the Lopi. (Be aware the the Lopi has a very sensitive air control. Check the user manual.) The VC compares favorably. Also, make sure you check how much non combustible space is needed between the insert and any mantel or top trim.

Great insert lots of heat and fan is quite.Will put out some heat in a power
outage but i have a generator for that.

Nice,

We have a Lopi Declaration. The fan noise is bearable, not too loud but by no means quiet, we can still watch tv without waking the dead. As for usage in power outages, yes but with a caveot. Last year during a short outage I tested it running off of an inverter connected to a car battery, no problem at all. Ran it for 3 hours without any degration in power to the battery. The inverter I got from an auto parts store, Pep Boys, it is rated for 400w, I think I paid $20 for it.

Heat output is great, infact I put an oven thermometer in front of the air output and registered 250F.

It is in a L shaped living room that is 25 on the long sides and 12 on the inner walls and that room typically is in the mid to upper 70's, the kitchen which is directly off of that room runs in the upper 60's. The upstairs which is around the corner from the living room, I have a fan to move the air up the stairs usually runs in the low 60's. The upstairs baseboard oil heat does come on occasionaly.

As for burn time it is usually 8 hrs.

Any other questions by all means ask.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.