FPX Burn Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scojen

Jul 21, 2010
Southern Maryland
I am just curious as to what type of burn times other FPX owners are getting. This is my second year of heating with my FPX 36 elite and I want to compare my experiences with others to assess how I am doing.
First, please explain your definition of a burn time and then of course what burn times you are getting.

Myself, I probably do not have the proper definition of a "burn time" but for me I consider it to be a complete burn cycle. Meaning the time from when I load the fireplace until I have a bed of coals and it is time to be raked forward and reloaded. The max time I am able to get is about 4 hours. I am able to keep small coals way longer than this perhaps 6-7 hours but by this time my fan is out and when I do reload it takes time to get everything fired back up again and heating. This is not ideal for heating over night and not having the house cold in the morning. I am trying to avoid getting up at night. Is this unrealistic? so anyway how do I compare? Any thoughts, comments or experiences would be appreciated.

My experience is about the same.

Beginning year 3 for me and I'm still toying with this to find the right balance of wood load (split size, how full and tight I pack it), air level and fan speed.
wood load - this is the first year I am burning wood that has had 2 full years of seasoning. I'm finding that back two years ago I was splitting to smaller sizes than I would prefer to be using now. It was logical to split smaller when I needed it to season faster but now that I am significantly ahead I would prefer larger size splits.
air level - might just be in my head but it seems to me that when I shut the air down to far the unit doesnt burn well. I get to about 3/4 closed.
fan speed - wondering if this will have an effect, especially on cold nights. have not experimented much with this

Not sure this helps cause mine is FPX 33 but I'll give it a try.

With about 1 year half way season oak, filling it full on coal bed (not a cold start), I can still get my fan running & probably enough coal to relight after 7~8 hours. Starting from cold stove won't last that long since the first hour will be mostly full throttle rather than slow burn.

Theoretically, blower fan should impact this since it's generate a heat loss. I've read a discussion about lower the fan can increase burn time (read - having red coal after longer time). I think with lower fan, you can throttle down the stove much more in order to sustain the minimum internal temp, which should contribute to less wood consumption. But it may not generate heat enough for the room.

For FPX36/44, do you use the OAK? The cold air from outside may force you to burn hotter to compensate it. Unfortunately the FPX33 doesn't have that option so I can't compare.

Cheers.......Som

flyingpig said:
Theoretically, blower fan should impact this since it's generate a heat loss. I've read a discussion about lower the fan can increase burn time (read - having red coal after longer time). I think with lower fan, you can throttle down the stove much more in order to sustain the minimum internal temp, which should contribute to less wood consumption. But it may not generate heat enough for the room.

Interesting, I think I will experiment with the blower fan a bit and see if turning it down extends the burn. I will report what I find!
I would happy with less heat by turning the fan down if the room was still warm (only slightly cooler) and I didn't have to start the fireplace from a cold start.

My experience is the same with my FPX 36. This is just my first season, but I am using 1-2 year seasoned wood.

At the 4 hour mark, you better be loading up or you will wake to a cold house. I do think that the blower speed has a lot to do with the burn time though on cold nights. I can't help but think that it take much more energy to heat the cold outside air, and the more air you push the more heat/energy it takes.

I am still trying to figure out the best and most efficient method, but I haven't found it yet. From what I have seen so far, not getting up at night is definitely unrealistic unless your family like a cool house in the morning. Mine DOES NOT!!!

One thing I have noticed on these units is that you can only shut the air down so far. I'm not sure how other types of units work but it sounds as if you can shut the air down completely. With the FPX you can only put it on low. At times when the fire is really cranking...even putting it on low does little to tame it. Like I said however, I want to experiment with the fan blower control.

Also there was a discussion about stop using the metal grate for FPX36/44 so that you can fill more wood, and the coal will embed directly in the ash so it'll last longer. Many people said it doesn't impact anything when they stop using the grate.

The first thing I did was remove the grate. It took up way to much space in my opinion.

i have the fpx33. Its a great stove. Having a good ash bed really helps the stove burn better. without the ash, it doesnt burn as well. The thermostat disc on mine would take about 2 hours before it would let the blower click on, so i disabled it. Now I run the blower full tilt from early on in the burn, 30 min in or so. For overnights, the stove will still have a few coals in it, and the heater hasnt kicked in yet, but the stove is long cold. It really depends on how damped the air is, but I went to bed last night, and it was 66 n my house, I had just put 2 medium sized logs on hot coals and damped down the air. i woke up this morning and it was 62 (it was about 32 when i went ot bed and 45 when I woke up). Thats great. In January when it is 10F, I will FULLY load it, and the house will be about 66 when i go to bed, and the heat will be back on sometime around 3am.... the house is a 1800 ft^2 ranch, 2 of the bedrooms are closed off.

Now, i also try to fire it up fast in the morning, I light it up as soon as I get up, and about 20 min later I am leaving for work. So I run it with the air wide open for 20 min, then drop the air way down, to just a little below what it should be and turn the blower on full. That will put out a lot of heat for most of the day. (I probably have had it burn a little hotter and faster than i would have liked, whatever thats life. I have to replace a broken firebrick and was thinking it would be good to put soapstone in the baffel plate. But i will have to research that.

Love the stove.

I still have the grate in my 44. The fire box is huge and it takes a lot of wood to fill it which I have rarely done....

Burner73 said:
Air all the way down??? You must have some black glass..no?

For me...first year, I did get black glass when I turned the air all the way down. This year I have properly seasoned wood and a well established coal bed before I turn the air down. This I beleieve has prevented me from getting black glass now.

MDfireguy said:
Burner73 said:

For me...first year, I did get black glass when I turned the air all the way down. This year I have properly seasoned wood and a well established coal bed before I turn the air down. This I beleieve has prevented me from getting black glass now.

are you able to shut it all the way down?

I have not been able to get away with that. Seems to choke the fire out. (my wood is all seasoned over 2 years now)

Got Wood said:
MDfireguy said:
Burner73 said:

I have not been able to get away with that. Seems to choke the fire out. (my wood is all seasoned over 2 years now)

I think it depends on the draft condition. In my case, if I let it run wild until the front thermometer hit 450 (which should be 550 actual temp), I can pull it all the way out and still have quite an active secondary burn for a long time. But if you shut it down too quick before the sufficient draft is established, it'll die down soon.

Also...note that Both Maverick06 and I have the FPX33. I'm not quite certain how different it is compare with the FPX44.

Another note about the grate, I agree with you that you may not have capacity problem. But without the grate, the coal will sink into the ash bed when it still be a big chunk and it is likely to be kept hot for a longer time.

Cheers.....Som

I am getting a 4 hour burn this year so far on soft maple.
I believe some of this maybe due to set up. My stack is 33 feet straight up draft in maybe 2 good.
I have yet to break into my Higher Btu Supplies. I am hoping for a 5-6 hour burn time with my OAk,Locust ,apple
All of my wood is seasoned longer than 2 years.
I am able to fully close the air down with out black on the glass but burn times are reduced when i completely shut down the air.
I have been having the best luck getting her going full air then after good fire going I engage cat and close air to 50 % untill she hits 500 or so then shut her down to 7/8 closed 3.5-4 hrs later rake ash full air out to garage to get wood then repeat depending on heating needs.

With outside temp's in the 30-20's 2 loads keeps the 1st floor about 70 and the 2nd about 68. With the living room about 75 . I will wake up and the 1st foor will be about 65.

I have zoned Ng hvac in the 2nd story so I keep my son's room and my room at about 70.
My house is extremely well insulated and not the norm as my 44 elite heats my 4200 sqft quite easily.
I have had to mess with this stove quite a bit and the install was done quite poorly. But I am now happy with heat and the looks of the 44 elite.. Burn time is my only complaint. Should have put a Blaze king in the basement

After a couple years of trial and error I can consistently get around a 8 hour burn time with my FPX44 Elite. I find that the most important thing is to establish a good hot bed of coals before you put your overnight load in the fireplace.

If I want a good overnight burn I crank up the fireplace around 8:30-9:00 with some small pieces. Once these burn down to a really hot bed of coals I load up the firebox, all the way up! I fill the middle of the fireplace to the top and try to shove smaller peices into the angled sides of the firebox so it's completely full. Then I let the fire re-establish itself, making sure the fireplace is hot and the CAT is well lit. Finally I turn the air nearly all the way down and go to bed(around 10:30).

In the morning I ususally have a nice bed of coals to restart the fire.

Just a tip, if you hear the metal expanding(and feel a burst of heat) when you turn down the air, you are probably in good shape for the night. If when you turn down the air you don't get a burst of heat, the fire is not up to temp.

Also, I pulled out my grate long ago, hope this helps.

Y

youngstr said:
After a couple years of trial and error I can consistently get around a 8 hour burn time with my FPX44 Elite. I find that the most important thing is to establish a good hot bed of coals before you put your overnight load in the fireplace.

If I want a good overnight burn I crank up the fireplace around 8:30-9:00 with some small pieces. Once these burn down to a really hot bed of coals I load up the firebox, all the way up! I fill the middle of the fireplace to the top and try to shove smaller peices into the angled sides of the firebox so it's completely full. Then I let the fire re-establish itself, making sure the fireplace is hot and the CAT is well lit. Finally I turn the air nearly all the way down and go to bed(around 10:30).

Just a tip, if you hear the metal expanding(and feel a burst of heat) when you turn down the air, you are probably in good shape for the night. If when you turn down the air you don't get a burst of heat, the fire is not up to temp.

Y
Where do you set your fan speed for those long burns?

I leave my fan on low almost all the time unless I'm coming home to a cold house and I want to warm it up quickly. Our house is only 7 years old and pretty tight, we also added a lot of extra insulation in the attic/basement/etc so once the house is up to temp it doesn't seem to take as much to keep it warm.

Just noticed some of the other posts.....my glass is always black in the morning!

youngstr said:

Y

Do you have any idea on the temps your running?
and are your going from air full open to get cat /Fire up to temp then shutting it down.

I nornally start to see secondary burn around 200-250 deg and that's when i start to shut down air from 100% open half to mostly closed around 400-500 deg

44 elite said:
I believe some of this maybe due to set up. My stack is 33 feet straight up draft in maybe 2 good.
I have yet to break into my Higher Btu Supplies. I am hoping for a 5-6 hour burn time with my OAk,Locust ,apple
I am able to fully close the air down with out black on the glass but burn times are reduced when i completely shut down the air.
I have been having the best luck getting her going full air then after good fire going I engage cat and close air to 50 % untill she hits 500 or so then shut her down to 7/8 closed 3.5-4 hrs later rake ash full air out to garage to get wood then repeat depending on heating needs.

With outside temp's in the 30-20's 2 loads keeps the 1st floor about 70 and the 2nd about 68. With the living room about 75 . I will wake up and the 1st foor will be about 65.

I have zoned Ng hvac in the 2nd story so I keep my son's room and my room at about 70.
My house is extremely well insulated and not the norm as my 44 elite heats my 4200 sqft quite easily.
I have had to mess with this stove quite a bit and the install was done quite poorly. But I am now happy with heat and the looks of the 44 elite.. Burn time is my only complaint. Should have put a Blaze king in the basement

I have no experience with this stove, but 4 hour burn times on a cat fireplace insert that claims 75% efficiency with a 4.3 Cubic Feet fire box would seem... very frustrating.

I love the look of the insert and was thinking about redoing the living room at some point to accommodate something like this. But, based on this thread, I think I will change my long term plans.

44 elite said:
youngstr said:

Y

Do you have any idea on the temps your running?
and are your going from air full open to get cat /Fire up to temp then shutting it down.

I nornally start to see secondary burn around 200-250 deg and that's when i start to shut down air from 100% open half to mostly closed around 400-500 deg

Sorry, no idea on temp. I run wide open until I'm up to temp and then shut it down.....I usually have secondaries and a good glow on the CAT when I'm shutting it down.

I believe that the down fall on this unit is that it's a Zero clearance Fireplace. My understanding of this it that the unit uses outside air to cool the enclosure. When my 44 elite was originally installed with out a p trap in these cooling ducts and this made it very difficult to get it up to temp. I have since installed a p trap in the 2 cooling ducts and now have no trouble getting the stove up to temp. I am going to experiment by further slowing the incommming cooling air.

In my install I did not require a zero clearance
but i wanted the look of a fireplace with the performace of a wood stove.
So I do not have an clearance to combustable issues

What do you think?

Worst case I burn down a 750 K home that is now worth 350K

Got Wood said:
MDfireguy said:
Burner73 said:

Yes, if the conditions are right and I shut it all the way down and have good wood the glass will be clear.

BrowningBAR said:
44 elite said:

I have no experience with this stove, but 4 hour burn times on a cat fireplace insert that claims 75% efficiency with a 4.3 Cubic Feet fire box would seem... very frustrating.

I love the look of the insert and was thinking about redoing the living room at some point to accommodate something like this. But, based on this thread, I think I will change my long term plans.

I'm not frustrated as I don't have experience with other units so I can't compare burn times. although I would like longer burn times, 4 hours seems fine for now. There have been times however when I have woke up to coals which technically would give me an 8-10hr burn time as others are judging it.These units do seem to eat wood and there is no way to shut it down completely so the wood is always burning well until it's gone. As noted in other posts, my fan is always on high and I have not experimented with it on lower settings so perhaps this may have an effect on it.

BrowningBAR said:

I really have no regrets installing the FPX. It really is great looking, I'm dang proud of the finishing stone work I did cause I dont consider myself exceptionally handy but I got some good help and love the end result. the large fire box and viewing glass doors really are nice to view. find myself staring at it a lot. And it does kick out a great amount of heat. I would say it provides 98% of the heat for the house with the exception being those brutally cold winter mornings when the furnance kicks on for a short time before I get it blasting heat again. The POS system does work too - I have some older drafty windows and when the fan is running there is no draft. It circulates the heat through my house nicely too. So, its great looking (a real center piece to the room) and provides all the heat for the house.

The burn time length has been frustrating but only because I hear about these 10-12 burn times on this forum. I have never used any other wood burning unit for primary heat so I dont have any comparison point. The unit does fall short of advertised lengths but my guess is most do too. With the shorter burn lengths I probably use more wood than those with other units (Last winter I used 5.5 cords). The burn length isnt a big issue for me as I work from a home office and as a family we prefer cooler sleeping temps and dont mind waking up to a cooler house.

Status
Not open for further replies.