Fracking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Later

Jan 30, 2009
This month's Popular Mechanics has an interesting article on hydrofracking for natural gas.

NPR had something on it the other day and I had all kinds of questions but now my CRS (Can't Remember chit) has kicked in! Oh well maybe I will go over to Hearth.com to see what is going on over there! :)

Gary

Lots of drilling going on around here. We have about 9 acres unleased landlocked by over 400 acres that is leased but no activity yet. Appears 3D seismic testing is about to take place...should be an interesting next few months for us.

Regarding methane, not sure how anybody can come to any meaningful conclusions unless there is pre and post drilling water samples taken. I remember YEARS ago somebody was in the news with faucet water that was flammable.

I for one am convinced there is nothing to worry about regarding fracking. Energy companies have a near spotless record of policing themselves and ensuring all their practices are safe, responsible and environmentally benign. Fracking activities should continue to be exempt from the Safe Drinking Water Act and any meaningful regulation. I don't need to know what they are pumping into the ground. If they say it's safe, or just a Trade Secret, that's good enough for me. There's no chance of those chemicals ever getting into the groundwater from what they say. No chance of the fracturing causing fault lines to slip either... Frack away I say, we don't need any extensive studies or monitoring to see if it's safe, we need the gas, and what's the worst that could happen anyway? Can't all those whining locals just drink Fiji water if they don't like what comes out of their wells?

midwestcoast said:
I for one am convinced there is nothing to worry about regarding fracking. Energy companies have a near spotless record of policing themselves and ensuring all their practices are safe, responsible and environmentally benign. Fracking activities should continue to be exempt from the Safe Drinking Water Act and any meaningful regulation. I don't need to know what they are pumping into the ground. If they say it's safe, or just a Trade Secret, that's good enough for me. There's no chance of those chemicals ever getting into the groundwater from what they say. No chance of the fracturing causing fault lines to slip either... Frack away I say, we don't need any extensive studies or monitoring to see if it's safe, we need the gas, and what's the worst that could happen anyway? Can't all those whining locals just drink Fiji water if they don't like what comes out of their wells?

You've GOT to be kidding. You just have to do a search on what's been going on down in Pa. with this drilling to see that everything you just said is not true.

sesmith said:
You've GOT to be kidding. You just have to do a search on what's been going on down in Pa. with this drilling to see that everything you just said is not true.

The sarcasm around here can be pretty dry sometimes.

SolarAndWood said:
sesmith said:

The sarcasm around here can be pretty dry sometimes.

Thank goodness...actually are folks around here that believe that. Guess i'm just too close to the fracking fight, i guess :)

I myself have softened my opinion of fracking. I don't see anything wrong with the action, just the utter lack of transparency. Can it cause earthquakes? Maybe its better to have a bunch of little ones than save it up for a big one. Maybe we could start paying fracking companies to drill wells where people are afraid of earthquakes, the same way we pay timber industries to cut down forests because people are afraid of fires.

That's a great idea. Fracking companies are doing God's work to keep us safe from immanent earthquakes. We need to support them in their efforts through eminent domain and infrastructure projects like municipal water to nowhere and federal/state approved dumping grounds. We need roads to the gas-I mean earthquake fields.

I agree with the concerns and it is just starting in my province.
But: We are willing to turn Alberta forests into Mordor by digging for tar, pollute the Gulf Fisheries, or send money overseas to people who hate us.
So if we oppose Fracking I think it is incumbent to come up with alternatives other than NIMBY.

I am in support of fracking, as long as we know wtf is going on.

Much of what I read on alternate energy projects I take with a grain of salt. It seems that every special interest group is working hard to tell lies. However, Popular Mechanics seems to have the flavor of credibility when they do an in-depth story..

Status
Not open for further replies.