Franken-Storm Preparation, could use advice quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hi Folks,

As all of us here in the East Coast are aware, the Frankenstorm is coming. My house generator is not being installed until Nov. 3rd though of course!

As some of you know I just built a woodshed, and it is going to get quite the test it seems.

A question I have is about tarps. This weekend I was originally going to place tarps on the open sides of the shed with bungee cords to keep rain and snow out. Now with such high winds predicted, I am thinking of placing the tarp inside the shed directly over the wood. Seems more aerodynamic and less chance of tie-down failure or tarp ripping. Sound like a good idea?

Also, does anyone here have any suggestions for bracing a woodshed during a big storm?

I only have this weekend to do anything about it so I appreciate any help you can suggest.

Did anyone around here ever lose a woodshed to a storm due to winds or heavy snow pile?

One thing I know for sure is I will be going to the package store after work today in case I have to sit in the dark again for a week.

I had a garage built over the spring/summer and watched how they braced it during construction. They'd use lengths of 2X4 at a 45 degree angle between the wall and the floor/ground. Nail or screw it in place and remove after the storm. In Florida we'd use plywood screwed in place over the windows (from the outside) to protect the windows. If the winds are strong the tarp will shred in no time.

I would probably wait on the tarps. That wood will only get wet on the outside, and it will dry again.

Bingo. If you don't need to burn it in the next week.. It doesn't matter. Don't bother.. it'll be one less thing to go chase down to see where it blew away to.

JP

Reactions: Thistle
I'd wait also. Keep the tarp just incase you need it for the roof on the house. Before this is over more than one family is going to be missing a few shingles.

Matt

If you can keep the tarps super tight in form on your wood you make have a chance. Once the wind get underneath or inside the tarp this is when you may lose it. I still think we have a little time to see what this thing is going to do yet....

Bingo. If you don't need to burn it in the next week.. It doesn't matter. Don't bother.. it'll be one less thing to go chase down to see where it blew away to.

JP

Exactly what he said.

Yup. No tarps chazcarr. No point if you may get really high winds that could shred them. Might want to try some extra bracing on the shed. Remember. More triangles, more strength. Take some 2x4 or something similar and some heavy screws or nails and place them at angles to make some triangles. Both ways, if you are worried about structural strength. Got propane for your gas grill. If not, get some. Fill your tank and have another full one as a back up. Those cheap candles in a glass are really handy as well. I have three of those plug in flashlights that you can buy at lowes for 10 bucks. They charge while in the outlet. If the power goes out, the light comes on. You can use them as a nightlight as well. Very handy for the money. One of the coolest lights I like are the ones that clip onto your cap. No hands. Light goes wherever you look. Great for when there is no power, or you are going somewhere there is no light because you don't have power there. ;lol Get one that has many LED lights on it. Here is an example.

402380_L1

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ontent_goobasecontent_filler&cID=GSHOP_402380

Stay safe my friend.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I haven't done this, but someone recommended making round cookies from plywood as washers.

1 1/2" to 3" holesaw w/ pilot drill would be great,even 1/2" thick scrap plywood would work very well.Use 2 1/2" or 3" screws

Make sure the shed is fastened down, not just resting by gravity on the supports. Make sure all parts of the shed are securely fastened together, not relying on gravity or friction to hold things together. In a storm the shed will be pushed and pulled in unusual directions and lifted as well.

Thanks Everyone.

Almost seems as if CT will be spared. Gonna keep a close eye on it for now.
Tomorrow I will go out and add some 2x4 braces just to be sure.

OK, I spent yesterday bracing the shed, added some "triangles" as stated above for strength and fastened some pallets to the sides to slow down the winds a bit and add more weight. Added a few more roof bolts. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks, good luck east coasters

OK, I spent yesterday bracing the shed, added some "triangles" as stated above for strength and fastened some pallets to the sides to slow down the winds a bit and add more weight. Added a few more roof bolts. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks, good luck east coasters

It worked, there were some strong gusts, but everything held beautifully. If only i could get some power back home here.

Status
Not open for further replies.