Free Ash & the Emerald Borer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bring it home?

• Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, a coworker who has in the past offered me truck loads of free wood is now offering me an enormous ash tree. Several cords worth, in one tree. Problem is, it has died unexpectedly (along with a few other ash on his property), and he suspects the Emerald Ash Borer is to blame.

I have some Ash on my property, looking plenty healthy, and I hate bringing that infestation home. He's about 8 miles away, but I'm not sure how local or widespread this pest will be. Those who insist that if he has it, anyone within 50 miles will get it, should direct their attention to my healty 70 year old Elm. These things sometimes move in unexpected ways.

My thinking is to learn the signs of death by Emerald Borer, and inspect this tree for those signs, before making the decision on bringing it home. Location is near Philadelphia.

It's everywhere here in Ohio. I would say 8 miles may as well be next door. If you don't think it's in your woods yet, it will be very soon.

Where are you located?

Sorry... near Philadelphia. Just edited original post to state that.

Why not just put it in your sig in place of the information-deficient "In front of my stove"?

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Article:
Cut and stacked ash wood more than 1 year old
can harbor viable EAB larvae and continue to pose
a risk for the pest’s artificial spread.

!!!

We have a large Ash tree and were recently told by an Arborist that if you are within 16 miles of a known infection site, it is a good idea to treat your tree to reduce the chance of infection. There are a few ways to treat ... our local guy does a series of injections and the cost scales with trunk diameter. Ours is 37" ... and he quoted us $650 (YIKES ... and it has to be done every 2 years) ... he would need to drill something like 20 holes in the tree. There is also a basal drench that is applied at the base of the tree with water. That needs to be done every year, but I believe it is much more cost effective ... we're checking into that. Good luck!

We have a large Ash tree and were recently told by an Arborist that if you are within 16 miles of a known infection site, it is a good idea to treat your tree to reduce the chance of infection. There are a few ways to treat ... our local guy does a series of injections and the cost scales with trunk diameter. Ours is 37" ... and he quoted us $650 (YIKES ... and it has to be done every 2 years) ... he would need to drill something like 20 holes in the tree. There is also a basal drench that is applied at the base of the tree with water. That needs to be done every year, but I believe it is much more cost effective ... we're checking into that. Good luck!

The injections work better than the drench from what I've read. If you want to go the drench route take a look at the Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/tree-s...h-tree-shrub-insect-control-landscape-formula It may be worth a shot if the tree is still healthy and you don't want to drop a bunch of cash.

Sorry... near Philadelphia. Just edited original post to state that.

If it's not in your immediate area I probably wouldn't bring it home. There is no stopping it and I haven't seen a tree make it yet(that isn't being treated).

When the ash borer entered MI, it was over 100 miles from us. It took 3 years to get here. Many cities and counties cut ash trees attempting to stop the spread. It never slowed them down a bit. So 8 miles away? Probably many besides that tree have it and many closer to you than that tree. If it were me, I'd take it. Great firewood.

Any chance you could CSS at his place? I think after it seasons it could come home and go right into the stove?

Reactions: milleo
The problem with bringing it home right now is that if the wood is infested, there could be emerging adults that could lay eggs in your ash trees. If you wait until fall to get it, the emergence will be over, but there would be viable larvae in the wood. You would need to be sure to burn up ALL the wood over the winter otherwise you would have a source of infestation from that wood. If the tree has been dead a year, there shouldn't be any live larvae in it as they feed in the cambium layer (under the bark).

8 miles isnt anything... If your not treating the trees you have, then your still at risk.

Im with Backwoods. Grab it... The EAB has tore a path of destruction through Ohio (came through Michigan / Backwoods area 1st) and is continuing to spread outward. I still have 30-40 standing dead Ash trees at my Friends, Fathers house. There everywhere :( (but it is good wood :))

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We live on the west side of the state and it is here big time. I understand it is just entering the eastern side now. I spoke with a forester today and he said they released some wasps to help prevent it, but it will take years and the trees will probably be dead by then. Mine are almost all dieng now and he said the trees probably had the bug for 6 years. They start up high and work down.

We live on the west side of the state and it is here big time. I understand it is just entering the eastern side now. I spoke with a forester today and he said they released some wasps to help prevent it, but it will take years and the trees will probably be dead by then. Mine are almost all dieng now and he said the trees probably had the bug for 6 years. They start up high and work down.

Yep. I recently read the first discovery around here was just in March of this year. That, coupled with the fact that I just learned this tree has been in constant decline for "at least" four years, has me concluding this tree is not a victim of EAB.

I also read about the wasps. I'm sure there's no chance of this non-native species flourishing and becoming a bigger nouisance than the borers themselves. :rolleyes: Hopefully they don't do as well as the stink bugs, which almost carpet our attics each fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.