FREE Chain oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremebison

Dec 27, 2010
Yukon Canada
I thought I would share one of my $ saving tricks. Many may be doing this already. It's my turn to give a little back to this community as you all help me alot. I have only been here a week.

I use my used motor oil out of our vehicles for chain oil. I even have a chainsaw mill were I run this oil in Husky's 3120, with a 36 inch bar. I get the best bar life with this oil. My chain stays cool and lubed up even when cutting 16 foot timbers on my mill. I have not purchased bar oil know for over 10yrs. Your all probally doing this already, just though I'd share a money saving tip. It does not need black streaks on the wood. I run a Duramax and my wife a VW TDI, thats were most of my used oil is coming from so it's black oil coming out of those engines. I don't even bother to filter it or clean it, out of the engine then into 4L oil jugs and out to the wood lot.

Been doing that all my adult life. My original bar lasted almost 8 years of moderate/mild use. Recently bought actual chain lube and found it to be way too thick. Decided to mix it with the used motor oil (synthetic) and found it to be too thick still. Once I finish the container of chain lube I will never buy another.

I had thought about it but as stated the store bought lube is fairly thick and me still being somewhat "green" with chainsaws I just figured that's the way it's meant to be?? I am frequently taking use oil to TSC but if 5-30 car engine oil isn't too thin then I'll use that. Is this weight oil acceptable? Is there anything in the store lube that my used engine oil won't have that I need? I don't have a problem for the $6/gallon price of chain lube but I'm all for recycling!

This lubricating system is quite crude. Think about what the chain is going through- wood, dirt etc. The lube simply reduces friction between the bar and the chain guides. There is alot of tolerance in that relationship. The only thing I would say that chain lube won't do, that waste oil does, is spit off the nose of the bar when there is no cutting but high rpms. I find that to be a method of checking that oil is in the system; if I am concerned about the lube, I point the saw at a cut end and rev it up. If the oil is there, it will show up on the log. I use a resevoir of gas and oil evenly regardless of what lube I run. By the way, I am getting an inventory of waste oil, so I am driving more than cutting. Gotta change that this weekend.

I'm not sure why the engineers who design chainsaws would want us to use thicker oil than that needed for technical reasons. Chainsaw companies don't refine crude oil to make bar lube, nor does it seem logical that they'd be in cahoots with refiners, so they don't have a financial incentive. Using thinner oil may work, but it can't be as good for the bar, chain, and saw as the bar lube which is spec'd.

Maybe one of the engineers on this forum can shed some light on this.

I've used vegetable oil with good success. It has about the same viscosity as bar oil but is a lot cheaper. Also it doesn't spray petroleum based oil all over the woodlot.

Is chain oil really that expensive? Also, chain oil comes in various viscosities based on the season. There are many reasons why used motor oil is considered hazardous waste. I send it for recycling, rather than reusing it as chain oil. That means that I am not exposing myself/family to the used oil carcinogens etc. and I am not polluting the bush with it. As woodburners, we should all strive to be good stewards of the forest.

I filter mine through old jeans (Tip from lee) or coffee filters (tip from MMAUL Aaron) cleans the oil up quite a bit.

Sisu said:
Is chain oil really that expensive? Also, chain oil comes in various viscosities based on the season. There are many reasons why used motor oil is considered hazardous waste. I send it for recycling, rather than reusing it as chain oil. That means that I am not exposing myself/family to the used oil carcinogens etc. and I am not polluting the bush with it. As woodburners, we should all strive to be good stewards of the forest.
EPA does not consider it hazardous waste.
IF there were carcinogens in the oil , it's already in the air from being in your engine.
Exhaust = in the air.

I am all for ecological sensitivity. However, if you look at anyplace where there has been wood cutting on my part, there is no sign of impact from my activities. Is chain lube a petroleum base? I assume it is, but will check. I do love the idea of vegetable oil though! I am going to check further into that idea. As far as cost goes, the chain lube at gallon rates is over twice the cost of gasonline. We can all agree gas is expensive right? Even though use is likely 60% of the gas while cutting, it all adds up. I believe my impact on the environment is a very positive one considering I am not burning much oil as a result of my efforts in wood cutting (never cutting a live tree!).

30 years ago I worked at a saw shop and the old boys in the back were always grumbling about folks using used oil as they were trying to repair/ replace non-functioning oil pumps. I am all for recycling but used motor oil is pretty much broken down and contains a lot of heavy metal carcinogens that you are dumping into the environment and your lungs. Bar oil contains additives that keep it sticky and prevent it from flying off the chain at high speeds, and at about 6 bucks a gallon it is one of the least expensive aspects of running a saw.

I'm not running a mill though, so a gallon lasts me quite awhile.

ddug said:
30 years ago I worked at a saw shop and the old boys in the back were always grumbling about folks using used oil as they were trying to repair/ replace non-functioning oil pumps. I am all for recycling but used motor oil is pretty much broken down and contains a lot of heavy metal carcinogens that you are dumping into the environment and your lungs. Bar oil contains additives that keep it sticky and prevent it from flying off the chain at high speeds, and at about 6 bucks a gallon it is one of the least expensive aspects of running a saw.

I'm not running a mill though, so a gallon lasts me quite awhile.

......... and the heavy metals come from where???????????

DanCorcoran said:
I'm not sure why the engineers who design chainsaws would want us to use thicker oil than that needed for technical reasons. Chainsaw companies don't refine crude oil to make bar lube, nor does it seem logical that they'd be in cahoots with refiners, so they don't have a financial incentive. Using thinner oil may work, but it can't be as good for the bar, chain, and saw as the bar lube which is spec'd.

Maybe one of the engineers on this forum can shed some light on this.

I haven't ever seen any proof that b&c oil increases b&c life over used motor oil. It still could increase life, but it is likely only a marginal increase.

Now consider this, how many gallon of b&c oil do you go through for 1 bar and X number of chains? It's a LOT. If you can save $y/gal * Z gallons of oil, you can easily afford to buy a new b&c a little bit earlier than if you were using b&c oil.

This was discussed on arboristsite a while back and the wear argument and the mess argument were the only two that were even remotely credible.

IMHO, if you can tolerate the black sticky mess all over, then using used motor oil will always be more economical than buying b&c oil.

ETA, I used some rough calculations on amount of oil used per bar/chain life and I discover that at $5 per gallon your B&C life must be cut in half in order for it to be more economical to buy B&C oil. If you're paying $10/gal your life must be cut to 1/4.

The oil pump argument is BS. This oil just came out of a car where it was passed through very tight tolerance bearings made out of very soft metals. If that oils doesn't screw up the bearings in your engine it's not going to screw up your oil pump, period.

Sisu said:

And just what do you think happens to that oil when it gets recycled?

It gets burned to heat somebody's shop somewhere, and all those pollutants etc are thrown up into the air. I'd rather have a little bit of oil in a pile of saw-chips somewhere in the woods than floating around in the air that I breath.

Ca, RI and Ma consider used motor oil a hazardous waste. Mostly for handling issues/ safety from what I've read.

Bar oil should partially be decomposed by microbial actions as long as large amounts of it don't get flushed into streams and groundwater where it can't be decomposed. Percentages is the problem there.
Waste o il gets , filtered , cleaned re-refined into a number of products for multiple uses, some probably returns as bar oil. :)

I've tried some of the vegetable/cellulose base bar oil and had oil pump issues at the same time (most likely not related to each other) . Quart is still sitting on the shelf waiting for me to be adventurous again . :)
If I cut more and had two saws I'd probably be a bit less conservative with my experiments.

shamelessLEE said:
Sisu said:
IF there were carcinogens in the oil , it's already in the air from being in your engine.
Exhaust = in the air.

It is all about managing risk. There are voluntary and involuntary risks. There are things we are exposed to everyday that we have no control over. Yes there are potential carcinogens coming out of my chainsaw and auto exhaust. That is something that I have no real control over (unless I went old-school using a swede saw and horse). However, I can make a choice as to what I use for chain oil. Why would I want to add to my exposure.

There are many contaminants contained in waste oil that are not coming out of your engine exhaust. In Canada, waste used oil is not allowed to be dumped in regular household waste. If I change my own oil, I have to dispose of it as "household hazardous waste" which is collected and sent for recycling. I am sure it is similar in the US. According to the EPA, the amount in one oil change can contaminate a million gallons of fresh water. You might not be cutting near a watercourse, but rain/snow melt runoff can carry it to surfacewater and even groundwater.

CountryBoy19 said:
Sisu said:

And just what do you think happens to that oil when it gets recycled?

It gets burned to heat somebody's shop somewhere, and all those pollutants etc are thrown up into the air. I'd rather have a little bit of oil in a pile of saw-chips somewhere in the woods than floating around in the air that I breath.

When it is recycled, the oil is re-refined. Contaminants are separated in the refining process. Here in Ontario, the burning of waste motor oil is banned. The waste motor oil used as bar oil could end up in the water you drink, absorbed through your skin, and/or breathed from when you burn your wood in the stove. In my opinion, the negatives out weigh the benefits.

Sisu said:
shamelessLEE said:
Sisu said:
Exhaust = in the air.

It is all about managing risk. There are voluntary and involuntary risks. There are things we are exposed to everyday that we have no control over. Yes there are potential carcinogens coming out of my chainsaw and auto exhaust. That is something that I have no real control over (unless I went old-school using a swede saw and horse). However, I can make a choice as to what I use for chain oil. Why would I want to add to my exposure.

There are many contaminants contained in waste oil that are not coming out of your engine exhaust. In Canada, waste used oil is not allowed to be dumped in regular household waste. If I change my own oil, I have to dispose of it as "household hazardous waste" which is collected and sent for recycling. I am sure it is similar in the US. According to the EPA, the amount in one oil change can contaminate a million gallons of fresh water. You might not be cutting near a watercourse, but rain/snow melt runoff can carry it to surfacewater and even groundwater.

What do you think blacktop is made from?
How about tar and chip for dirt roads? The cheapest oil on the market = used oil.
Waste oil is accepted at landfills. Where do you think contaminated soil from brownfields goes.
Ever been to a scrap yard? Literally hundreds of gallons of used oil all over the ground daily.
How about your local Pull-a-Part junk yard. Waste oil everywhere.
What about the oil/sludge from car washes? It just goes to a sewer plant.
The heavy metal theory is bunk. Most engine wear occurs on the exhaust side of the cylinder. There's more in the air already than ever could be contained in the oil.

the heavy metal "theory" is fact.... how much of a concern it is and if you choose to worry about it are separate issues for each to make.

I would not run the oil for the same reason i dont mix it with my home heating oil and burn it there, the cost savings are tiny, and if it harms the associated equipment, its very expensive. I dont see it being a reasonably gamble, and I would love to be able to find a use for it!

The heavy metal theory is bunk.

I doubt you could find a scientist who would dispute the fact that used motor oil is loaded with carcinogens, including heavy metals. What would be their motivation to post false data?

Weather it is a big concern or not is a different matter. You are all free to make your own choices, it just doesn't seem worth it to me considering the cost of a gallon of new bar oil.

maverick06 said:
the heavy metal "theory" is fact.... how much of a concern it is and if you choose to worry about it are separate issues for each to make.

I would not run the oil for the same reason i dont mix it with my home heating oil and burn it there, the cost savings are tiny, and if it harms the associated equipment, its very expensive. I dont see it being a reasonably gamble, and I would love to be able to find a use for it!

EPA actually approves of it being burned in diesel engines and HHO.

ddug said:
The heavy metal theory is bunk.

I doubt you could find a scientist who would dispute the fact that used motor oil is loaded with carcinogens, including heavy metals. What would be their motivation to post false data?

Weather it is a big concern or not is a different matter. You are all free to make your own choices, it just doesn't seem worth it to me considering the cost of a gallon of new bar oil.

I didn't mean HM's were non-existent . Read and quote the full post.

shamelessLEE said:
Sisu said:
shamelessLEE said:
Sisu said:
Exhaust = in the air.

What do you think blacktop is made from?
How about tar and chip for dirt roads? The cheapest oil on the market = used oil.
Waste oil is accepted at landfills. Where do you think contaminated soil from brownfields goes.
Ever been to a scrap yard? Literally hundreds of gallons of used oil all over the ground daily.
How about your local Pull-a-Part junk yard. Waste oil everywhere.
What about the oil/sludge from car washes? It just goes to a sewer plant.
The heavy metal theory is bunk. Most engine wear occurs on the exhaust side of the cylinder. There's more in the air already than ever could be contained in the oil.
Yes you are true in regard to many of the uses and misuses. However, in most cases used oil is refined before re-use. It is also contained in a medium (eg. asphalt). But yes, things like asphalt and blacktop are not 100 percent benign. Waste oil accepted at my landfill is not dumped. Brownfields are associated with past mismanagement not current landfill use.

So if a scrap yard is breaking the law and contaminating the environment, does that allow us to do the same? It all goes back to voluntary and involuntary risk. We have a choice not to use waste motor oil. Why compound the problems with something we have a choice not to do.

Also, oil and sludge from a car wash is passed through a oil/sludge separator at the car wash, prior to being sent to the wastewater treatment plant. This is collected and sent for proper recycling/disposal. Washing your car in your driveway is frowned upon or forbidden through municipal by-laws, since the wash water ends up in surface water via storm sewers (if you live in a town or city).

The contamination of heavy metals in used motor oil is neither a theory or bunk. Do you have any peer-reviewed studies that verify your assertion? Heavy metals in waste motor oil is fact. If in doubt, read the countless studies or take your used motor oil to the nearest certified lab and have a metal analysis done.

My Dad used to change oil in the 60s by parking his Chevelle straddling a ditch, dumping it out on the ground and leaving the oil and the filter right there.
Now he recycles used motor oil to be re-refined and reused. I guess it's a part of growing up and growing smart. Why buy an EPA stove if you are going to
spray carcinogenic motor oil all over the forest floor? Trust me, I am no enviromentalist nazi, but I am a conservationist, fisherman, a hunter, and a woodsman in that order...

That is about the same as using the same washcloth for your butt and your face in that you have the appearance of being clean, but I wouldn't kiss anybody

Status
Not open for further replies.