Free Scrounge Shag bark hickory 12 ft trunk section,Sussex NJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
A neighbor who is recovering from cancer, had a large shag bark hickory come down during the hurricane. I've gotten most of it, but my 20 inch bar can't get the remaining trunk section. If you've got a big saw and want some big hickory rounds - PM me for details. It's all yours - I am hoping to help him out. It fell across a utility trailer. It should be easy cutting with the right saw and close to the driveway for easy removal.

Thanks.

Someone surely should jump on this one!

WOW. Even with all the Shagbark I see around here,20"-22" is pretty much the size limit in areas that are accessible.Great score for the right person indeed.

basswidow said:
A neighbor who is recovering from cancer, had a large shag bark hickory come down during the hurricane. I've gotten most of it, but my 20 inch bar can't get the remaining trunk section. If you've got a big saw and want some big hickory rounds - PM me for details. It's all yours - I am hoping to help him out. It fell across a utility trailer. It should be easy cutting with the right saw and close to the driveway for easy removal.

Thanks.
Couldn't you cut from both sides and get through it? Just thinking.

I smell Fish A hickory too big to cut,,,,hmmm NJ has no place to rent a saw large enough to harvest premium firewood,,,,just saying

I tried going from both sides -

I may go at it again if no takers. It's a really big trunk. We tried to counted rings and estimate it's 75 - 100 years old.

I sledged and wedged the rounds I was able to cut (from both sides) and found it to be somewhat stringy. I had to noodle some of it. Even wedged in two, some of the halfs were back breakers to get into the truck bed. This is HEAVY wood and BIG BIG BIG.

I know for sure it's shagbark due to the bark and hickory nuts everywhere. The wood has that hickory smell to it. A very branchy tree. I got three truck loads - but alot of it was small stuff. The real wood is in the trunk section that is difficult for me to get.

I'd like to see someone have it. It's still available in Lafayette NJ for those in the area. I'll even help ya for free as the owner is a family friend.

Sure wish you where closer....Bigest shaggy I have done to date is 26 inchs.

I'd be all over it, but if its that big it sounds like a nightmare.

Jay - it's about the size of what you are cutting in your avatar photo.

I know a friend that has a big Stihl with a 36 inch bar with a skip tooth, maybe he might want a crack at it.

basswidow said:
Jay - it's about the size of what you are cutting in your avatar photo.

I know a friend that has a big Stihl with a 36 inch bar with a skip tooth, maybe he might want a crack at it.

I sure would think so, pretty rare bird indeed!

That is a very rare tree, I cut wood on 120 acres in SE PA and have never seen one over 24" The hurricane blew down everything here except the shagbark trees.

I'm interested, PM sent

Status
Not open for further replies.