free wood...help id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
this is free for the taking..what kind of wood is this?

2011-08-22120059.gif

this is the stump it was cut off of
2011-08-22120116.gif

Looking like elm to me.

I'm going to beat Jay to it and say Silver Maple. It doesn't matter though, it looks like it's nice and dry and ready to burn.

Matt

Dead . . . very dead wood.

Hard for me to say without leaves . . . the bark almost looks a bit like elm . . . grab a hold of some of the bark on the tree stump and pull it away . . . if it comes off in a big sheet I would say there is a fair chance it is elm . . . a very dead elm.

Looking again . . . now I'm wondering if it couldn't be oak . . . take a closer look at the tree still standing in the background with the stump and see if the bark doesn't look similar . . . and then post a pic of a leaf.

the homeowner said ..maybe its sycamore..but im pretty sure its not sycamore

I would definitely take the wood - you can't beat free, dryish, bucked wood. I think the stump looks like it might be Elm, and Elms tend to die prematurely, so the fact that it is dead is another sign it might be elm.

if its elm...how hard is it to split?

I split some elm last week with a hydraulic splitter. It splits okay, but is very stringy and must be pulled apart, unless you run the round all the way to the end. Crotches were very difficult to split, but yours look nice and straight.

Definatly Elm. I took some last month which was as dry as this. Very good burning wood but a PITA to split. Even tough with a hydraulic splitter.

Hum must be Barkless

That elm will most likely not split that hard. It will be good wood.

Yup Elm. When I split that stuff on the splitter, I stand back. I have sheared bolts trying to go through some elm that was standing dead. When it finally splits it makes a loud bang.

Precisely. Very good wood to burn. Very hard.

I'll jump on the Elm bandwagon. Bark isn't right for Sycamore, certainly...

smokinjay said:
steeltowninwv said:

:lol:
He's not going to think it's very funny...

Woody Stover said:
I'll jump on the Elm bandwagon. Bark isn't right for Sycamore, certainly...

smokinjay said:
steeltowninwv said:

He's not going to think it's very funny...

:)

I've found that with the hydraulic splitter the degree of difficulty in splitting elm has a correlation in how long it has been standing dead. Fresh cut elm from a live tree will result in a stringy mess oftentimes . . . I think Jags has a fantastic pic of a managled piece of elm . . . but when splitting from a standing dead elm that was dead for a number of years the splitter would split it up quick and easy.

That is also what we find Jake and we've cut and burned a lot of it through the years thanks to the dutch elm disease. If I get at it we'll cut a bunch of it this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.