Freezer where you at? Post your Pics and fruits of your labour.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Ok I now have to side by side pack to the gills. Fireing up the deep freeze. Where you at for the season?
(just bought 15 birds for the freezer) Looking to fill all there before Oct. 15. Pics of canning too!

Me and the wife made up a few batches of jelly over two weekends. I used grapes from our yard. The two vines yielded about 15 gallons of grapes, with a few gallons went to the neighbors for juice. I will say, we did enjoy the process and are looking to put up other goods. We gave away about 6 jars to friends and family.

In a few weeks I will put up pictures of a vegetable and fruit storage rack I made for squash, potatoes onions and apples.

Attachments

• DSC09736.jpg
    DSC09736.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC09783.jpg
    DSC09783.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 261
fishingpol said:
Me and the wife made up a few batches of jelly over two weekends. I used grapes from our yard. The two vines yielded about 15 gallons of grapes, with a few gallons went to the neighbors for juice. I will say, we did enjoy the process and are looking to put up other goods. We gave away about 6 jars to friends and family.

In a few weeks I will put up pictures of a vegetable and fruit storage rack I made for squash, potatoes onions and apples.

Very Nice! Never done the storage of food thing until this year awesome to see it adding up.

Fast approaching no empty canning jars.

Currently working on some beer.

Tomorrow is do some more tomato sauce day and finish mowing the "lawn".

We might be all topped off on winter supplies by the end of September.

SmokeyTheBear said:

I srounge 5 cases of quart jars and bought 2 more cases. We have 40 full and the garden is just now full tilt.

smokinjay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

I srounge 5 cases of quart jars and bought 2 more cases. We have 40 full and the garden is just now full tilt.

The last time I counted we had over 200 jars full, when I get off the computer shortly I'm going to be putting 15 of the last 30 standard mouth jars in the dishwasher. Tomato sauce today, the boss has already got them boiling down and will be heading out to refill the big kettle with more.

Blackberry, blueberry, strawberry/rhubarb, and several other rhubarb fruit mixtures, five different relishes, mincemeat, and about eight different kinds of pickles are already on the shelves. Our canning season is coming to a close.

SmokeyTheBear said:
smokinjay said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

The last time I counted we had over 200 jars full, when I get off the computer shortly I'm going to be putting 15 of the last 30 standard mouth jars in the dishwasher. Tomato sauce today, the boss has already got them boiling down and will be heading out to refill the big kettle with more.

Blackberry, blueberry, strawberry/rhubarb, and several other rhubarb fruit mixtures, five different relishes, mincemeat, and about eight different kinds of pickles are already on the shelves. Our canning season is coming to a close.

Awesome, I am new to this game......But I think on my first year 120-140 range. The fall garden is just now taking shape and rain is coming in Saturday! (We have about 75 qts now and the tomato's are loaded again)

I scrounged 5 cases of jars, and bought 4 more cant wait to run out. We are freezing some as well.

15 cubic foot freezer is 75% full of peppers, okra, apple sauce, apple pie fillings, brocolli, grean beans, and tomatoes. Have 25 pints of salsa, 12 quarts of tomato juice, 8 pints of relish, and 6 half pints of jalapeno jelly canned. About 60 lbs of potatoes and 30 pounds of butternut squash in the basement. Doing cider Sunday, and then a hog and chickens this fall. Going to be eating good this winter.

Garden is tapering off....and I'm ready for it to be done....just like wood burning....can't wait to start....and glad when it is over.

Second planting of lettuce, peas, and brocolli looking strong.

lukem said:
15 cubic foot freezer is 75% full of peppers, okra, apple sauce, apple pie fillings, brocolli, grean beans, and tomatoes. Have 25 pints of salsa, 12 quarts of tomato juice, 8 pints of relish, and 6 half pints of jalapeno jelly canned. About 60 lbs of potatoes and 30 pounds of butternut squash in the basement. Doing cider Sunday, and then a hog and chickens this fall. Going to be eating good this winter.

Garden is tapering off....and I'm ready for it to be done....just like wood burning....can't wait to start....and glad when it is over.

I started May 30th so I need a Big fall. We done over 20 qts in a week. Thats by far our best week yet. I have 8 tomato plants loaded up again and rhubaur for this weekend. Hope for another 20qt week.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

I started May 30th so I need a Big fall. We done over 20 qts in a week. Thats by far our best week yet. I have 8 tomato plants loaded up again and rhubaur for this weekend. Hope for another 20qt week.

We have 24 tomato plants and got bombed for 100+ lbs a week for a couple weeks. It was exhausting, but worth it.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

We have 24 tomato plants and got bombed for 100+ lbs a week for a couple weeks. It was exhausting, but worth it.

Wow I have 8...lol But there Monsters.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Wow I have 8...lol But there Monsters.

I staked mine up to eye level, about 6 feet, and they kept growing and are touching the ground again...so my plants are 12+ feet. After I watered heavily some are blooming and producing again. I might get a big second round out of them.

8 cherry tomato, 8 roma, and 8 heirloom. The romas are done and I pulled them up yesterday. The heirlooms were huge, average about 20oz per tomato, with some up to 27oz.

fishingpol said:

We had a lot of grapes last year, but they died out this year. I trimmed way back and ordered a couple seedles varieties for the fall. Goin to take a couple years to rebuild...but homemade jelly is gooooood.

lukem said:
fishingpol said:

We had a lot of grapes last year, but they died out this year. I trimmed way back and ordered a couple seedles varieties for the fall. Goin to take a couple years to rebuild...but homemade jelly is gooooood.

Just order apple and cherry trees have to look into the grape.

We're at about 140 quart jars of tomatos, tomato sauce, kraut, pickles, corn, green beans and another 60 pint jars of various soups and jams/jellies. Freezer is half full of 12 game hens, a wild turkey, half a porky-pig and some caribou medallions. Hoping to fill it with a quarter share of Angus and Bambis daddy come bow season.

We should finish up with another 100 jars of veggies and another 40-60 jars of soup. Root cellar and dry storage should be full in the next month.

Anybody else have their tomatoes take a beating this year? Late blight hit them hard, but not my potatoes (weird).

We had late blight show up as well, that is another reason for our canning season ending early. For some reason we also had a good sized crop of horn worms this year and some early blight so very few of the 42 plants we put in didn't get hit by something. Add in the timing of heat and rain it is a wonder we have anything, our winter squash also has taken a beating. But the blasted good for nothing gourds and jack o lantern pumpkins the boss planted are growing like mad (go figure).

It took three plantings of pole beans before anything really got growing funny year. If the frost stays away we may get some yet. The cucumbers are still at it but we aren't pickling any more.

I did a count before turning the computer on and we have 243 jars we have filled this year. Looks like we will get at least two possibly three more batches of tomato sauce. Which for the two of us will be enough.

fishingpol said:

Have three grape vines at our northern NY home and haven't had more than a handful of grapes this year. Probably because I don't know crap about pruning grapes. Any tips you can share?

Well, I had my neighbors dad come over last year and he picked off all the suckers that were growing off the main branches. The suckers are the smaller green stems. He did this after the grapes showed as little bunches. The energy goes into the grapes bunches instead of the foliage. My vines are about 9 years old or so. They grew up on a copper wire trellis until they made it to the top of my pergola. Once up top, I trained them to branch out. in a few directions. This is the first year they have totally covered the top. I added more wire from the pergola to the screened in porch to extend them even more.

I put clear christmas type lights under the vines in the pergola framing and enjoy an adult beverage on nights like this. With the chiminea going it chases the chill away.

Attachments

• DSC09402.jpg
    DSC09402.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.