Fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wert

Nov 27, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
How much more effcient will my stove be when I hook up the air intake

Put the word OAK in the search bar at the top of the screen. Get a case of beer and a bucket to piss in. Cause you'll be busy for awhile. There was just a huge thread on whether to OAK or not.

wert said:
How much more effcient will my stove be when I hook up the air intake

It really is not how more efficient your stove is, but how much more comfortable your house is!

Some people who are more sensitive can feel a difference, but with the OAK you will NOT be pulling cold air in from all the cracks and crevices in your house and sending the warm air up the chimney.

So with an OAK the warm air from your stove will just feel nicer. That is all but I will tell you that after I OAKed my Boiler and Pellet stove I could tell a difference!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 188
I was playing around with the OAK, removed it to see what would happen. The fire in the stove appeared the same as I thought it would. Here's the interesting part. I wear shorts around the house and my recliner is close to the stove. With the OAK not connected I can feel a slight cool breeze flowing over my legs as I sit in the recliner. When the OAK is connected I do not get the aforementioned breeze, so it's much more comfortable for me having the OAK. I am glad I tried the OAK/NO OAK for myself.

I do the OAK thing too... Again. Some do.. Some dont. Either way your pulling cold air into the house. Either through your cracks and drafts. Or through a controlled flexible pipe.

I choose to keep my warm air in the house. Some want to burn it up and shove it outside. All in what your looking to get out of your stove.

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.