Fresh Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
I got a few freshly cut white birch trees from craiglist. Is birch harder to split when it's just cut ? I was just wondering because my electric splitter has gone through seasoned birch easily but won't hardly make a dent in the new stuff.

Wait a few days...Pistol if I were you I wouldn't split it until the week before I burned it. ps I wouldn't advise putting too much time in scoring white birch...there's many better varieties of wood out there.

I usually split the stuff green and have no problem. Some folks live birch and it is great in a fireplace; pretty flame and low in ashes. Not all that bad for heat but burns rather fast. I haven't burned any in our new stove. Heck, I gave away a whole cord of it.

Just split a ton of birch today by handand it was real easy....kinda like maple.
You shouldn't have any problems,

A hint with white birch is before you buck it into lengths, run a saw down the length of the tree cutting through the inner and outer bark. The bark is quite strong and acts like a hoop around the wood which makes it harder to split. Once the "hoop" is cut, its a lot easier. I hand split with a maul and it makes all the difference. If I forgot to do it, then I split a small slab off of one side of the round initially rather than trying to split it down the middle. Once the slab is off, that breaks the bark and the rest of round splits real easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.