Fresh-cut BL moisture %?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Cut a mess of BL today, and just for kicks and grins put the meter to it.

In this photo:
month-old rounds at bottom of stack: 35% MC
rounds felled Thursday and cut this morning: Range from 15% to 35% MC

I don't need to burn yet and wasn't planning on burning this batch till next year, but this really wide range got my attention. Is the sample supposed to be this wide?

Attachments

• Irene.jpg
    Irene.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 317
Ive only measured a few times and think I found about 33%mc when fresh cut.

I've only cut it a time or two and have never seen the low readings that everyone talks about. I cut some last summer(2010), I just checked a 6" round a month or so ago and it was still in the high 30's.

Bluedogz, you are measuring from the INSIDE of a fresh SPLIT, right? Not the ends of a fresh cut round. I don't see any splits in your pictures. You don't measure from the ends. You have to measure a fresh split and put the probes in line with the grain, not perpendicular with the grain.

I've cut locust that was sopping wet and bone dry. A good healthy locust has a bit of moisture in the wood. It's the large ones that are half dead that contain moisture extremes from one part to another.

I got some bl this year and i was splitting it within a couple weeks of it being cut and the mc was averaging 27%. Thats about as low as i have ever seen fresh cut wood

Kenster said:
Bluedogz, you are measuring from the INSIDE of a fresh SPLIT, right? Not the ends of a fresh cut round. I don't see any splits in your pictures. You don't measure from the ends. You have to measure a fresh split and put the probes in line with the grain, not perpendicular with the grain.

Er... no. Ends of the rounds. Mea culpa.

38% MC BL freshly split just a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 222
The fresh cut BL that Ive recently gotten from Irene rang in around 39% (trunk). I love Bl b/c by this time next year, it'll be 15%-17%.

OK, ok... I split one and got 31%, so by next year that'll be some nice warmness.

Status
Not open for further replies.