Friendly reminder for GW users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

This is the first time I remember this happening this season, though I've had it happen B4 so it's my own fault.

As the weather was still warm yesterday before this current mini-cold snap, I decided to burn the coals down so as to remove some ash. For me this means carefully rakinging the coals to the back of the combustion chamber, while trying to let the ash settle out. At one point I noticed that the water was about 160* so I knew something was wrong. Now, the GW manual tells you to open the door with your left hand. It might sound like a micro-managing control-freak wrote the manual, but . . . there is a good reason. When I opened the door, blue flames filled the box, spilled out the door, and shot about a foot in to the air. Yet another reason I'm glad the green beast is not in my house :bug:

Anyway, sometimes the wrong conditions will come together to cause the air inlets to get shut off from the inside. Seems when a large quantity of coals burns in an oxy-starved state for a while, they become volatile upon the introduction of oxygen from the feed door opening too quickly.

Anywho . . . it's back to single digits for a couple of days so the aquastat's back to 195* and there will be no further coal-burning-down routine right now.

Yup, the slowly opening the door routine is pretty common in gassers. As a side note, burning softwood is a good way to burn down your coals. I don't normal have any hardwood but was given half a cord this winter. Forgot about the coal build up and had to burn them down every so often with my normal softwood.

Strange how a glowing mass that fills the whole stove doesn't throw much heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.