Froling S3/FHG Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshy

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2016
NY
Guys, I just did a complete cleaning of my FHG before peak season arrives. My boiler had 430 heating hours on it.

I swept the chimney even though it didnt look like it needed it (only got a cup of ash, no creosote at all).

I took out the tubulators and brushed the tubes.

I brushed and cleaned around the combustion chamber and removed the ash under the tubulators.

I pulled some side pannels in the firebox and checked the primary air intake it clean.

I cleaned the firebox floor, pulled the cast iron grates and cleaned the ash from the secondary air inlet.

The question I have is, what's the easiest way to clean the area under the cast iron?
There is a small bolt head above the secondary air inlet and it was painful to clean with a small flat piece of wood. What advice do you Froling owners have for cleaning this area? Old paint brush maybe?
20181208_215642.jpg

Yes, I covered the firebox floor with ash before I fired the boiler. I used all the ash from under the tubulators and spread it on the firebox floor. I typically maintain a 1" solid base of ash on the firebox floor, never scrape it clean. For a while I was scooping out the combustor daily but re-read the maintenance instructions and began leaving a layer of ash in the combustor also.

Last edited:
I clean the area below the below the cast iron twice a year using a shop vac. The only dirt is the ash that falls down from cleaning the bulk to the ashes out of the boiler.

Reactions: Chris Hoskin
The manual I got with my Froling said not to use a vacuum on the refractory. Apparently it can cause wear.

I clean my fire tubes every 2 weeks ,it seems to make quite a difference on the flue temps . I also vacuum out the ashes from the ash access and in beside the refractory sides.
I have been brushing my fire tubes every 4 weeks as well as cleaning below them and brushing the narrow area around the lower refractory that leads back to the fire tubes. I scoop out the cylinder refractory every week but leave a heavy layer of ash in it so the flame isnt impinging directly on it. The floor of the firebox is also completely covered with 1-2" of ash. I use my poker to keep the space below the plates on the inside of the firebox clear of ash.