Front yard tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Always thought I knew what was growing in the yard, but after the knowledge I have acquired these past couple seasons, I have to rethink this one. Always thought Oak before, now thinking Hickory. The tree drops the propeller seedlings, certainly a giveaway.....

Attachments

• tree47.jpg
    tree47.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 264
  • tree48.jpg
    tree48.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 261
Just a guess but I wOOd say Sugar Maple.

Zap

Any nuts around?

That gentlemen is a Soft Maple!

bark looks like white oak...i couldnt id a tree by the branches if you hit me over the head with them.

Silver Maple............. propeller seedlings...... maple class.

WoodButcher

Are all 3 the same tree?
Should have leaves soon. Dead give away then.
Looks like all good fire wood since they are so close to the power lines.

WOODBUTCHER said:
Silver Maple............. propeller seedlings...... maple class.

WoodButcher

+1

Those look like silver or red maple buds, but I don't see any opposite budding further down the twig so it can't be a maple.

Matt

I agree those are maples, but they look too shaggy for Red. I'd say Silver. I have not seen a Sugar or Red Maple so uniformly shaggy. Sometimes you see a Sugar or Red Maple that is pretty shaggy, but they are shaggy in places, not as uniformly as those trees. Also, multiple large trunks are much more characteristic of Silver Maple than other maples, although any species of tree could have multiple trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.