Frost on the INSIDE of the pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Another 14 inches of snow fell last night, on top of the 50 inches we've already had for January (or whatever the dang total is)!!

I just dug out all I can. Extended the path beyond the wood pile for the sake of my Jack Russel dogs, .......otherwise they'll stop where the path ends (in between the two wood piles) and do their business right where I DON'T want them to!!!

When I lifted the cover over the pile I'm currently pulling from, I noted that there are crystals of moisture on the UNDERSIDE of the tarp??????!!!!!!! I keep the tarp down, when I'm not bringing in wood........what the heck?!

-Soupy1957

There's a lot of moisture in a pile of wood. When I covered a load of delivered "seasoned" wood with a tarp my first year, the whole thing turned into a block of ice and it took a sledge and some to time to break it up.

I'd say Solar nailed it on the head - moisture leaving the wood gets trapped under the tarp and freezes. That is while you'll find most recommend using a tarp to cover the TOP of the pile only.

Which is why a lot say to leave wood uncovered until the fall before you use it.....
Tarps trap moisture I learned the hard way, 2 years under a tarp with just the top covered and wood was bad only the edges were dry

Yes I dont cover my wood usually till Oct. and I never have seen moisture on the underside of the tarps.

Ya Soupy, that is one more reason I do not like tarps. Something solid is much better.

I have frost on under side of tarp as well. This pile of wood was covered just before first snow in late Dec. I suspect the heat of the sun hitting the tarp heats the pile underneath. Condensation is formed and freezes onto tarp underside. I don't see this as a big concern because the pile is being used up rapidly this time of the year.

After using my tarps for 4 years, they were ....uh, less than impervious to wetness from the topside.
How old are your tarps, Soup?
Just one more reason to get that shed built this spring, eh?

Tarps were bought this past Spring.

Wood was only covered on "top" during the Summer & Fall, to allow the wood to breathe (unless a major rainstorm was coming, in which case I covered the whole stacks, and then UNCOVERED them (except for the top) after the rain was done.

Solar on the portion of the tarp dug out for access to the wood, only. That's where the crystals of moisture were noted.

Still planning on a wood shed this year, after all this snow melts (which might be July, at THIS rate).

-Soupy1957

welcome back, hope your trip was good. I finally got my shed this year after years of using a tarp. what a difference. wish i had done it years ago. you won't regret it.

cass

Status
Not open for further replies.