Frustrated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
We had a VC defiant nc installed a couple weeks ago. Over the past few days, I have read nearly every post on everburn and VC stoves. I understand that there is a learning curve to this stove, and that I am brand new to wood burning stoves, but after reading threads for three days, and even watching the videos on everburn, I thought for sure tonight I was going to achieve the everburn and was even excited for the challenge. I built up the coal bed for over an hour and a half, got the stove to about 550 - on a magnetic, stove-top thermometer, then added three 4-6 inch, well seasoned oak splits. I allowed the splits to burn for about ten minutes and closed the damper. I didn't hear the rumble spoken of in many posts and checked the emissions from the chimney - a steady stream of smoke. I waited about twenty minutes to see if the everburn would kick in; it didn't. I opened the damper and rearranged the splits - hoping to allow a clearing to the back of the stove; I let them burn a little more. I closed the damper and heard a small rumble for a minute, then nothing but the pinging of the stove. There was still smoke from the chimney - a steady plume. After the first "load" burned to coals, I repeated the process - no rumble, still smoke from the chimney. I was too sweaty from sitting in front of the stove to continue.
After nearly five hours of fretting, checking, looking, listening, poking, and burning, burning, burning, I am pretty frustrated.

Is this what my winter is going to be like with this stove, or is it possible that I'll get her working? Any information, or opinions, is beyond welcome.

For full disclosure: We have class A, 8 inch pipe from the connector through the second floor attic, and about another ten feet of chimney from our Cape Cod slanted roof.

When you throw those oak splits in, you might need more than ten minuted to get her going.
try fifteen or twenty. You got the runble, but sounds to me like she was not quite up to temp with the new load, or again you cut it back a lil too soon.
You will get the learning curve. But from all I read, they are tough & finicky stoves. Trial & error.

Your post sounds like a man trying to get a woman to ... oh yeah, this is a family forum. That just doesn't sound fun. Good luck.

Hogwildz said:
When you throw those oak splits in, you might need more than ten minuted to get her going.
try fifteen or twenty. You got the runble, but sounds to me like she was not quite up to temp with the new load, or again you cut it back a lil too soon.
You will get the learning curve. But from all I read, they are tough & finicky stoves. Trial & error.

I agree with Hogz. Also don't just shut the air off in one shot. After the timeframe Hogz mentions close it in increments over another 10-15 minutes. Don't give up . . .in a couple weeks you'll look back and laugh at your posts.

schortie there's a poster on this site called tradergordo, pretty sure he has that same stove. Anyway he has his own site that's full of useful tips I'll see if I can't dig up his link.

Like the others said be patient you'll get the hang of it once you're burning 24/7...when you have the occasional fire in milder weather it just takes a little more experience...not that heating with wood is all that hard, it's just a little tricky. Only thing I can suggest is don't rush it, those cats work best on a mature bed of coals and you may not get there for a couple of hours.

edit to add...

OK go here and check out tradergordo's post on page 1
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22500/

schortie said:
I built up the coal bed for over an hour and a half, got the stove to about 550

This sounds like wet wood! With seasoned wood you should obtain 550* (from cold start) within 30min.

Hang in there Schortie "Rome was not built in one day" There is a learning curve with these stoves, it took me a full season of frustrations before I got the hang of it. You have a beautiful stove & with well seasoned wood it should work like a Swiss watch ;-)

I'm wondering why you would add wood to a stove that is already at 550 degrees?! Why not wait until the temperature goes down some.

Not sure where in Michigan you are schortie, but it wasn't that cold last night and I'll bet you were really sweating! Today and tonight might work better for you because now you need the heat and the cold air will give you better draft too.

It <<does>> sound like you are trying to use the stove's damper and/or controls like a light switch.
It's a bit more like using the throttle on a motorcycle than the clutch or brakes. Ease it down from high speed to something more moderate.

Diabel said:
schortie said:
I built up the coal bed for over an hour and a half, got the stove to about 550

This sounds like wet wood! With seasoned wood you should obtain 550* (from cold start) within 30min.

Hang in there Schortie "Rome was not built in one day" There is a learning curve with these stoves, it took me a full season of frustrations before I got the hang of it. You have a beautiful stove & with well seasoned wood it should work like a Swiss watch ;-)

Thanks Diabel, I have read many of your posts in the other threads in regards to this stove, and I sincerely appreciate your encouragement. I'm quite confident that my wood is dry and seasoned. It did not take me that long to get the stove up to that temp -- only about 30-45 min. as you indicated, but I wanted to wait until I had a significant coal bed before engaging the damper / everburn. I'll keep at it - particularly with the cold weather coming our way. Perhaps that's what I need.

If you read my posts you see how frustrated I was....back then! And yes I laugh at it right now. This forum helped me a lot in terms of how to operate the stove & I am sure it will help you.

Can you describe your set up.

Our setup is a straight stack of Dbl wall pipe from the connecter to the ceiling box. Then about 8 feet of Dbl wall pipe through the second floor attic, and ten feet more pipe from the roof. We are getting a solid draft - no smoke anywhere but the chimney. I have tried burning all types of different wood to get this going - oak, ash, maple, even pine. Our wood is seasoned, and from a very reputable supplier.

Question(s): is there always a noise/rumble when the secondary kicks in? Should there be NO smoke from the chimney? Should the flames nearly go out when the damper is engaged?

I was hoping to lessen the learning curve by reading nearly every post out there on this subject, I don't think I'm missing anything but the everburn.

schortie said:
Our setup is a straight stack of Dbl wall pipe from the connecter to the ceiling box. Then about 8 feet of Dbl wall pipe through the second floor attic, and ten feet more pipe from the roof. We are getting a solid draft - no smoke anywhere but the chimney. I have tried burning all types of different wood to get this going - oak, ash, maple, even pine. Our wood is seasoned, and from a very reputable supplier.

Question(s): is there always a noise/rumble when the secondary kicks in? Should there be NO smoke from the chimney? Should the flames nearly go out when the damper is engaged?

I was hoping to lessen the learning curve by reading nearly every post out there on this subject, I don't think I'm missing anything but the everburn.

That is plenty of pipe!

I am assuming that you have a thermometer placed on the griddle top. It might be a good idea to buy a second one & place it on the stove pipe. I have mine on the connector pipe (8" up) only because I have a double pipe from the connector up (like yours I think).
With seasoned wood I will bring the temp to about 550*-600* on the pipe (griddle temp will read about 500*-550*) only then I will engage the damper. You should hear the rumble at this point. Sometimes the rumble will slow down & the pipe temp will start to drop but it will always (99%) stop at 400* (pipe) & no smoke from the cap!

Oh yeah, I start reducing the primary air only about 10min into the burn & in stages...to about 75% closed.

On occasion during cold starts I will do as above.....but when I engage the damper there will be no rumble & there will be smoke from the chimney but within 5min the stove will start to rumble slowly & the smoke will vanish.

And YES no flames until about two hours into the burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.