Fulfilling a Special Request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
This morning was so clear and calm. While I was quietly splitting by hand, I could hear all the crickets chirping, the birds singing, and neighbors' saws running from miles away. Everyone in the area is beginning their winter wood piles, some probably even throwing it in the stove as it's cut since it's been cooler at night lately (40s).

The chickadees were extra curious, perching very close to me and telling me their life stories. At least that's what I think they were telling me, not being fluent in chickadee. They should be this country's symbol. They're way cooler than any other bird!

I got a special request from one of my regular customers. He wanted a load of dead pine to add to the oak in his campfire. He said the oak is great, but he likes how the pine pops more. I never cut any pine, it's a waste of time with more dead oak laying around than I could use up in ten lifetimes, but who am I to argue with an open wallet. If he wants a load of dead pine for the same price as he pays me for loads of oak, so be it. He's right about the snap crackle and pop anyway. Pine does pop a lot more than oak. White oak does a little, but still not nearly as much as pine.

There isn't a lot of pine in the woods anymore, since it was pulped off a few years ago. It used to be the jackpine was so thick in places that you couldn't walk through it! Now there are a couple small plantations of norway pine, and some young white pine sprouting up, but the jackpine is all gone.

So this morning I found a dead norway pine that had been broken off in a storm a few years ago.

Here it is all cut up. The bottom few pieces were kind of iffy, but the rest was acceptable for a campfire:
IMG_3859.jpg

Split:
IMG_3860.jpg

Loaded up and ready for transport:
IMG_3862-1.jpg

Stacked and waiting for customer inspection/approval before delivery. Then I buy beer:
IMG_3864.jpg

Also this morning, while I was limbered up, I did a little project for my good neighbor:
IMG_3863.jpg

And then this afternoon I went fishing! Do you think an old fashioned hand-splitter like me would have a fancy powerboat to cruise around the lake with? If you answered "HECK NO!", then you are correct:
IMG_3878-1.jpg

Nope, didn't catch anything this time. It was one of the rare times that we didn't catch at least a few bass.

Extremely jealous here. Not of the pine! Beautiful location and a very nice looking wood-cutting rig...

Outstanding! We have a small firepit in VT that we use all the time. I agree on the pine, it burns very nicely. It pops and sparks and just has a nice burn to it.

Thanks everyone! It was a great day even if the fish weren't very cooperative. It ended with sitting by our own firepit. In a few short weeks we'll be sitting around the stove instead of the firepit.

Where did you get that trailer? Nice set up for the 4 wheeler.

It's a kit trailer that I got from Harbor Freight, I think in 2003, for $100. On the way home, I stopped by Menard's Lumber and picked up a sheet of 3/4 inch treated plywood for the bed/sides. I believe Harbor Freight still sells the same thing, but of course more $ now. I've added a few things to it since, like the fancy side stakes, saw carrying pocket thing, and the AWESOME custom milk crate on the front (hee hee), but the trailer has been bulletproof. I've had it loaded so high and heavy that I was afraid it would tip and twist my ATV hitch. Sometimes I hit trees with the fenders, or drop blocks on them, but they're still fairly straight yet.

Thanks for the pictures, Quads. Life looks good.
Happy burning to you and your pine customer.

quads - I have the same boat, its old school like my stove.
Would that be a Stihl 361, if so I have the same also.
I've seen your quad set-up in prevuous threads and I love it.
Greats pics and you are living the good life my friend.

Loved picture of your boat. Reminded me of the one I grew up with and spent many happy hours rowing around the shores of Lake Tahoe. Oh, how I miss those days.....my dad paid for everything and we kids did as we pleased.....most of the time. ;-)

That's a Stihl 026. Several years ago I bought 2 of them from a guy down the road for $50 each. After many, many cord of wood, and who knows how much wood that guy cut with them, my favorite one runs too lean and I can't get it to richen (it was made with all the carb adjustments). I think there's a crack in the rubber intake manifold but haven't felt compelled to take it apart yet. The one in the picture is a little newer than the other one (it has no high speed mixture adjustment, which is why the other one is my favorite, for it's carb adjustment flexibility).

My dad was a boat and snowmobile dealer back in the 60s. That boat is the one that he kept for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.