G. Supremes, Chow or Ling .. oh my

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburg

Oct 20, 2010
Western Mass
I pre-bought 3 tons of pellets at Tractor Supply for $197 ... its time to pick them up and I have choice of three pellets, Green Supremes, Stove Chow or Lingetics .... I have a harman accentra and have not find a pellet that doesnt work ... if it was you (yes, I know i should try all three) which one would you buy, or would you buy a combination?

When I glanced at your post I thought you were ordering Chinese food. Have not used Green Supreme or Stove Chow but chow gets good reviews on here. Linguistics is not a brand I ever heard of, you mean Lignetics? I believe that is the brand carried by places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, never had much trouble with them but I believe they are on the lower end of the quality scale.

lol! yes, lingetics .. coffee hasnt set in yet ;)

PerfectaDude said:
I believe that is the brand carried by places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot, never had much trouble with them but I believe they are on the lower end of the quality scale.

Actually Lignetics are typically sold through pellet dealers but you may also find them at TSC at times.

no opinions???

I would get one of each. All three have generally positive reviews but you never know when your stove won't like something.
For some reason my auger had a tough time with the ligs. Most people like them though

IHATEPROPANE said:
I would get one of each. All three have generally positive reviews but you never know when your stove won't like something.
For some reason my auger had a tough time with the ligs. Most people like them though

I agree. Everyone loves Barefoots but I had nothing but problems with them.

All 3 are pretty good. Get 1 of each and decide which is the best to worst. Then use the worst ones now for shoulder season and save the best for the dead of Winter.

Which Lignetics were they? Green label, Blue label, Orange label? Green labels are not bad. I just grabbed 10 bags of Green Supremes and my initial opinion is they are a pretty good pellet. Little better than Ligs. Never burned any Chow, but they get good reviews here.

Every stove is different. Do you have time to go buy 2 bags of each and try before you pick up the 3 ton?

Blue label ligies are bad full of ash(walk away!)! Green label had the higher heat of the 3 but also had more ash. Green Supreme's(NEWP's)decent heat and had the lowest ash of the 3. Stove Chow was in the middle, a decent average pellet.

I would stay away from the Stove Chow, although they had some fans last year, they did only average for me - the other two I dont know, but Green supreme has drawn a lot of questions lately, so I would assume they are widely distributed throughout the country, which makes me wonder if they are not just another box store quality (just guessing here)...

Word I got from a little birdie is they are the same exact pellet as Warm Fronts and NEWP's. This is the box store bag to keep the NEWP dealers happy.

I can get them at both Lowes and TSC. I hope to do a review once we get rolling.

That would make a lot of sense because they tested fairly the same for me last year - meaning the expensive NEWP were actually a dissapointment and fell into the box store category...very interesting...

A very pleasant surprise for me were Penningtons Natures Heat....any info if they are a rebaged high quality pellets ?

Riddle Master Morgon said:
That would make a lot of sense because they tested fairly the same for me last year - meaning the expensive NEWP were actually a dissapointment and fell into the box store category...very interesting...

A very pleasant surprise for me were Penningtons Natures Heat....any info if they are a rebaged high quality pellets ?

Pennington is in the seed business and I highly doubt they make their own. I heard Atlas for seasons past, But they are out of business. I'll ask around.

Edit: I was informed they have 4 mills of their own.

Of the three, I'd have to rate the Lignetics (not blue lettered bag) the best of the bunch. Yes, GS are just rebagged NEWP's, which are the same as Warm Front (which my local Price Chopper is selling).

The Chow are a decent pellet, especially suited to shoulder season burning.

IMO, get a ton of each to try out. If one brand doesn't burn real well, mix it 50/50 with the ones that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.