gap between chimney liner and chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snosurfa7

Mar 25, 2009
VA
How much gap, if any, between chimney liner in a masonry chimney and stove pipe?

Area for pipe is 6.5" diameter, wondering if I could get a chimney liner and 6" pipe up through there.

I guess my other option is metalbestos up through the masonry chimney but I have not seen it in 6-6.5" diameter.

When I did my house it was just straight through the roof but this is for an old hunting shack with masonry chimney already in place.

Thanks

The inside dimension of my masonary chimney was a little under 7" and the 6" liner I put it was a tight fit. I think you would be better off looking for a smaller liner.

ikessky said:
The inside dimension of my masonary chimney was a little under 7" and the 6" liner I put it was a tight fit. I think you would be better off looking for a smaller liner.

How thick is the liner? I've never used one before given that my current set up does not need a liner.

Smaller liner? Do you mean stove pipe? My guess is use the biggest liner (6.5") to give the stove pipe the most room. Most outlets on stoves I have seen are 6" and I have heard you are not supposed to use a reducer...though I guess I will if I have to, it is just a hunting shack.

Used to be stove in there but that was a long long time ago and I can guarantee it was not to spec and the pipe just ran straight up through the chimney.

Wait a minute. You are wanting to put a liner in the chimney and then put pipe all the way up inside the liner?

Well, I was initially...that was the way it was done long ago - stove pipe straight up and out the chimney. Of course not the best option.

It's kind of weird - its not a full masonry chimney - it comes out the roof like a masonry chimney but only goes into the shack about 2 feet where it is braced - it does not go all the way to the ground like a regular masonry chimney you would find in a traditional house.

I did a little more research - maybe run a stove pipe up through the chimney w/o liner to the top where I could connect it to something like metalbestos when it comes outside.

What is the benefit, if any, of running a liner and then stove pipe in this manner? There would be no creosote on the actual masonry chimney and the inside diameter of the current masonry chimney is between 6.25-6.5" - so if I run a 6" stove pipe up there is no oversize chimney issue with loss of draft.

Remember this probably won't be perfectly to spec but trying to make it as safe as possible. Got to work with what I have...

Status
Not open for further replies.