Garden Fence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Hello All,

One of my fall projects is going to be building a fence around my garden to discourage the deer and keep the dog out. I have a yellow lab that apparently likes to eat tomatoes, green peppers, and green beans.

Garden will be pretty big next year. Actual size TBD, but roughly 75 x 75. This includes some blueberry bushes, strawberry patch, etc.

I know I want to use welded wire / woven wire / field fence with one 6' gate to get the mower and tiller in.

My current thoughts are to set some 10' posts leaving ~ 7' out of the ground, put 47" woven wire on the bottom, and fill in the remaining ~36" at the top with a couple courses of smooth galv wire to which I can attach some "deer detractors" like streamers or something.

I don't want to get a ton of money in this. My BIL has a mill and has offered to cut out some locust posts. I have some scrap treated lumber and old barn hinges for a gate. I figure I can get a 330' roll of woven wire, 1/4 mile spool of galv wire, and fence tacks for about $150.

I know this setup won't be 100% bullet-proof when it comes to deer, but what is? Sound reasonable?

I cannot help with deer, but if you have groundhogs- I have the solution. Whatever you put in for fence- attach some chicken wire so that it covers the bottom foot of the fence, then bends and extends another foot along the grond away from the fence. Stake it down and let the grass grow through it, or put mulch on it. The groundhog goes up to the fence, tries to dig under, and hits chicken wire. No need to bury it etc- I had a serious issue with them before I did this.

I may have to do some better fencing around the rest of my garden- too much exposed.

Thankfully no burrowing vermin, yet.

Labs like to dig. You can lay a layer of fence on the ground to stop him.

As far as deer go, automatic sprinklers get high marks -- the kind that are set off by motion detectors.

He's not much of a digger (yet). If I have to go subterranean I will later.

lukem said:
I know this setup won't be 100% bullet-proof when it comes to deer, but what is? Sound reasonable?

I do 4' of welded , 3' of smooth wire at 1 foot intervals above and then poly mesh. The smooth galvanized seems to have finally solved it. The tick bags knocked down the welded wire where I had gone 8' after they went through the poly mesh. The smoothed galvanized tied the whole system together.

The birds are another story.

I fenced in my garden with 6 foot tall welded wire and used the system of chainlink fence steel posts and top rail. I decided on the welded wire in place of chainlink because it is less visible. At the base, I partially buried boards and stapled the fence to it so critters can't get under it. There is a glimpse of it in the following post.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=753584&postcount=12

Status
Not open for further replies.